Home / Forum / Getting Started / recommended bit for cutting 3mm carbon fiber sheets / Reply To: recommended bit for cutting 3mm carbon fiber sheets

Profile photo of JasonJason
#12793 |

I have a friend who’s been cutting CF sheets to make multirotor frames for about two years. He swears by these bits:

He also said:

Cut settings that work great for me, although not the fastest is .0175″ cut depth per pass, 10″ min cut speed, 5″ min plunge speed with a .2″ safety height. The bits wear out pretty fast so don’t expect to get more than a few frame pieces cut at a time if its CF. Due to this I always drill all of my holes as the first operation then go back with a round diamond file in a drill to enlarge the holes to the right size. I use a piece of masking tape around the file to gauge the depth I need to go to.

Note – he’s using a shapeoko not a MPCNC.

I plan on giving it a try soon I still need a better spindle, just been using my old dremel to play around for now but will be picking up a 660 soon. Also I need to buy some CF sheet 😀

I did order these bits: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151077631029?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT They’re a bit cheaper but also a bit smaller diameter – so more likely to get broken. But for me to play around with the price was too good to pass up. (I was just looking to buy some O-Flue endmills for cutting lexan and acrylic but tossed those in since it saved me money on shipping vs. buying them later.)