Home / Forum / Assembly / Heat a bolt if the tube is too tight / Reply To: Heat a bolt if the tube is too tight

Profile photo of MarkMark
#13813 |

South Africa is also metric Rui. Try find any one here who knows what an inch is. Quote them any imperial dimension and you will be met with a blank look.

nerdyrcdriver I have scoured the length and breadth of the land and have had no joy on getting anything closer to 25.00mm. The suppliers are generally too busy (lazy?) to go and find a vernier to measure exactly. The one largest stainless supplier allowed me to walk around their vast yard with my printed parts to try and find something it would fit. Felt a bit like Cinderella and the glass slipper. The same for one of the larger steel suppliers who were quite helpful.

The Aluminium guys are less helpful as they say their range is too huge and the dies belong to specific clients etc.etc. I tried several 25mm aluminium tubes from various sources and all were less than 25mm as the parts rattled around and there would have been no accuracy. As the wear factor on aluminium is in doubt, I choose not to pursue that avenue anyway.

I am banking that there is enough tolerance in the MPCNC design to accommodate the 0.4mm diameter increase in the bolt holes. As I now already have the stainless cut to size and neatly filed down, I have nothing to lose by drilling one of the brackets to see if it makes any difference. If it works, then situation sorted for now, if it goes pear shaped, hey, I get to print another and hopefully, fingers crossed, Allted will take pity on me and release the new international 25.4mm version. He will hear an audible cheer from most of the Southern Hemisphere I am sure.

I will let you all know how it goes later today. Hold Thumbs.