Reply To: Z-Axis Considerations in a Dedicated, Large-Volume Paste Extrusion MPCNC

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Z-Axis Considerations in a Dedicated, Large-Volume Paste Extrusion MPCNC Reply To: Z-Axis Considerations in a Dedicated, Large-Volume Paste Extrusion MPCNC

Profile photo of George
George
Participant

I like your idea of having multiple leg lengths handy. I’m Totally gonna do that.

In regards to the idea for the 4 corner acme rods, I think I could do it with one Nema 23 (or greater) or two Nema 17 steppers. The design with that would be more or less a carbon copy of the Z-Axis of the Micro 3D. It was my first printer (I have a Kossel Mini now) and for all the other flaws with the design, I found the Z axis quite novel in that four threaded rods in each corner were turned by a single motor, via a closed timing belt. The initial setup and calibration would be aggravating, to say the least, but quite doable. I think the hardest part would be sourcing one large (closed) timing belt, or 4 smaller timing belts. With that design the gantry would no longer be part of the structural support, so an outer skeletal structure is needed, but beyond that it would be a matter of anchoring the threaded rod to the X-Y gantry.

Dear god, the more I talk about it, the more I want to do it… For now I want to try to stick to the existing build as much as possible for the sake of expediency.