Home / Forum / Getting Started / Just starting. Need some help with dimensions. / Reply To: Just starting. Need some help with dimensions.

Profile photo of Josh WilliamsJosh Williams
#17466 |

Thanks for the quick feedback!

My thought was that I’d like to be able to offload some of my existing 3d printing work to the MPCNC from time to time. Most items I print are in the 2-4″ tall range 90% of the time. I figured if I allowed for a height of 4.5 – 5 inch of Z height that should let me print parts 4- 4.5 inches tall on top of the spoilboard. The option to remove the spoilboard and print larger parts to a lower bed was one I saw mentioned in the forum and thought it was an interesting idea if it wouldn’t have a huge impact on the rest of the system. I think I’ll leave the huge prints to my main 3D printer (MakerFarm Pegasus 12) as I can print up to 12 x 12 x 13″

Would an X/Y of 36″ x 24″ (usable) with the 4.5-5″ Z height still retain enough rigidity to mill hardwoods and aluminum? I’m not sure how much metal work I would actually be doing but could see myself cutting plates and brackets for other machines.

I’ve been working with 3d printing for quite some time now and have had some great success with it but milling and laser work is entirely new to me.