Reply To: Milled/printed Prusa Style Printer

New Home Forum Builds and Things Built Milled/printed Prusa Style Printer Reply To: Milled/printed Prusa Style Printer

Profile photo of Neil
Neil
Participant

I am struggling with this MK8. I can not keep this thing extruding. I have tried different retraction settings from 1mm to 6mm. I have tried just un-spooling a handful of filament (so its not having trouble pulling off the spool). I can get it to lay down the first few layers beautifully and next thing I know it starts under extruding and then quits all together. I am starting to build the second of three machines (so hopefully I can see if its just a flaw with this one in particular or what). I am unsure as to how tight to set the tension spring. I have tried keeping it finger lose, finger tight and slightly beyond finger tight. I do not think it has anything to do with the tension as I know there is a decent bit of play for this and I do not feel it is biting too hard or too soft at this point in time. I am at a loss (although, I am printing the e3dv6 attachment to give it a go with an e3dv6 clone).

I was hoping someone could offer some advice on other things it could be. I could take a video to show exactly what happens but basically it lays down the first few layers really well, starts to under-extrude and then quits extruding all-together. I am just running though some makergeeks pla at 230c (as said it runs beautifully for the first few layers).

Only other question I have at this point in time is there some setting to change the z-axis movement just prior to printing. I can tell it to print from SD card, load my gcode and let it heat up. Then just before it prints it homes (nice and slow) then the z-axis jumps up – way too quickly (skipping steps fast) and then slowly starts its descent to the build plate. This quick Z-Axis skipping is causing my ‘home’ to lose its ‘home’. I am just not sure what this is called to change it in the firmware.

Thanks again and sorry for all my struggles. Hoping it helps someone else out along the way.
Neil