Reply To: Ordering 1" Steel tubing but have a question on type and thickness of material

New Home Forum Getting Started Ordering 1" Steel tubing but have a question on type and thickness of material Reply To: Ordering 1" Steel tubing but have a question on type and thickness of material

Profile photo of William
William
Participant

I can’t speak to the dom steel tubing other than to say for my application (in the basement) I’d be concerned about rust.

I did go with the speedy metals 1″ 065 wall tubing. My machine is 24″x36″ usable (about 36″x48″ tubes), and the tubing is sort of ridiculously overspec.
The finish is perfect and all bearings ride smoothly.
I think I could stand on the rails (don’t trust the printed parts to hold me though), and if I ever expand the system, I’ll use more of this tube.
The only concession was that the printed parts assume 049 wall tubing, so the nut traps that get inserted into the z-tubing needed some ‘adjustment’ to fit. Worked great and took all of 10 minutes to sand down.

Oh, and the tubing is pretty tough… Like I had to use a grinder and files to get the ends smooth and deburred.