Reply To: Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

New Home Forum Software Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support Reply To: Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

Profile photo of Bluff Chuffer
Bluff Chuffer
Participant

Hi, I have completed my MPCNC last year and am busy adapting a mill for cnc control. What I want to do is use Estlcam, the mega2560/ramps/Ramps/LCD Vicious’s Marlin plus parralleling an Arduino Uno with protoneer shield. Seperate TB6560 stepper drivers operate the Nema23 57mm length motors.

I like the LCD controlled Ramps, which permits stand alone control for repetitive jobs (sd card), and to slave a laptop or PC to operate the cnc is a waste.

The use of the Uno is to be able to use estlcam to operate the machine without having the need to reload the necessary firmware all the time. (estlcam and ramps setup does not allow use of the lcd controller).

Questions are – should I use diodes or suitable OR gate chip (7HC32 or similar) to isolate the non used controller;
should the other controller be unpowered while the other is in use (the UNO using USB power and the megaramps mainly from the psu system).

At present, I have got the x axis moving, broken a brand new 3mm cutter, cut metal, the system electronics almost complete except for the UNO addition ( put it all in an old VHS video player box). I am sure Estlcam will deal with backlash sometime in the future, what with uneven surface detection and all that in gcode software today!

Any advice?
Cheers
Errol.