Reply To: Are metric and imperial bolts and screws interchangeable on printed parts?

New Home Forum Getting Started Are metric and imperial bolts and screws interchangeable on printed parts? Reply To: Are metric and imperial bolts and screws interchangeable on printed parts?

Profile photo of cave
cave
Participant

From an Australian perspective,
– Hardware is expensive, online is the way to go for orders of this size (more than a few items, but not enough to justify boxes of 100/500). Actually, everything is expensive here!
– The assembly bolts / nuts were easier to find in 6/32 than 3.5mm; 3.5 is an unusual size. 3mm and 4mm are widely available locally, 3.5 not at all at a reasonable price. But 6/32 easy to find from a local, but online, RC / drone parts supplier.
– 8mm bolts on my build (which was carefully scaled by measuring printed parts at 1.0, then 1.015, then 1.016 scale) tapped into the holes, rather than sliding freely. They were completely threaded bolts. This is not ideal, as the bolts should allow movement of the parts. I’m thinking of replacing these at some point, in which case I might go for the English measurements rather than metric, just for that extra 0.06mm space. But the bolt style is probably at fault, rather than the size.