Reply To: Stepper gone mad (Video) – Is this a driver, the ramps board, or the arduino?

New Home Forum Troubleshooting Stepper gone mad (Video) – Is this a driver, the ramps board, or the arduino? Reply To: Stepper gone mad (Video) – Is this a driver, the ramps board, or the arduino?

Profile photo of Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy
Participant

Thanks for the Thanksgiving morning help, Ryan! I ran out and resoldered a new connector to the RAMPS end of my (Brand new 18 gauge shielded) cable, and that fixed the stuttering and random direction changes, but I still can’t get the motor to advance much. (Video – Google Photos)

If you can hear it in the beginning of the video, the stepper and driver are ticking like a metronome, about once per second, which is new to me. It started doing that again about three seconds after I tried the last Z move.

X and Y axis are moving fine, and I feel no resistance on the shaft (No load). I put a brand-new out of the package driver on it, and tried Vrefs from 0.6V to 0.88V with no change. For more info, I plugged it into the working X-Axis spot, tuned the Vref, and got the same result… Could my Z-axis cable be too long? (It’s around 12 feet long). Could a bad driver have ruined my stepper that fast? I have one more motor left, but I’m scared to hook it up…

Also: The guide to the stepper I switched in gave the pairs as being different than the connector was wired. I tested with a multimeter and found the connector went “A1 B1 A2 B2” instead of what I expected at the connector (A1 A2 B1 B2). So I wired it as to what I found in the docs and multimeter. Did I screw that up, maybe?

Ignore me and enjoy your thanksgiving, and thanks for your help when it’s convenient for you!
I’m going to try that last stepper (on the X axis) as it was shipped and wired and see what happens.

–Matt