Home / Forum / Getting Started / Feed rates and depth of cut / Reply To: Feed rates and depth of cut

Profile photo of vicious1vicious1
#4891 |

Most of the videos out there list what setting they are using, all of mine do. That will give you a ballpark.

Every machine will be different, different size spindle, how the build went how tall it is, how long the bit is, how big the bit is. Start slow, plywood is cheap make some test cuts in high density foam. Ply wood is rough on bits, I think it has something to do with the glue. So when you find a bit you like get a 5 or 10 pack and save a ton of money, I recommend drillman1 on ebay.

My biggest suggestion is get your material as close to the gantry as possible, rigidity will double each time you half the distance to the gantry. Do not cut aluminum until how have lots of wood cuts under your belt. Most machines are either built big for wood or very small for metal.

Most people are making there machines very tall yet cutting flat material all the way at the deck. When I cut aluminum I stack wood under it to get it as high as possible. and I am very happy with the cut