1 year

New Home Forum Updates 1 year

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nerdyrcdriver nerdyrcdriver 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

It’s been a year, how old is your machine?

Profile photo of Curt
    Curt
    Participant

Thanks Ryan for all your work and the help you provide. My machine is nearly 6 months old and I have used it to create a large welcome sing for my wife to a small plaque for my brother. I have a JTech laser that I have barely started using and a friend made a 4th axis to laser etch dowels he uses for his drum mallet business. I recently bought an extruder from this site and have started to get it dialed in to use. THIS SITE IS AWESOME!!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks.

I am a lil burnt out so I have been playing with CAD and dedicating 1 printer to pooping out prototypes for at least a few more days.

I really need to get the website a lil more organized and update some of the info, a FAQ’s page (how big can it be, I want endstops, How about a MAC, ect.) I burnt myself out trying to optimize the site to make it load faster, man that is a crappy job…So I will update things another day. I just know the more organized the site the less time I/we will spend answering questions and making things easier for everyone involved. I think I need to restructure the forums as well, and figure out the dang breadcrumbs in the forums…

Sorry done ranting. Just proud and want things to be as good as possible.

Thanks to you for all your help and for being active here!

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Everyone appreciates all the long hours and hard work you have and continue to put in to this project!

Profile photo of Levi Blaney
    Levi Blaney
    Participant

^ we do indeed.

I have been stalking for 5 months or so? I was about to buy a cheap DIY 3d printer kit when I ran across this. Decided I wanted to go this route and was excited about all the different possibilities. Been waiting for the Tax return and got hit with identity verification the other day, so in about 3-6 weeks hopefully I will be able to order.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

Congrats to Vicious and the MPCNC for one full year! I’ve built three of these now; the oldest has been running about two months and is still going strong. To anyone considering one of these, the end result is just the icing on the cake. The real fun is in the build. I looked at several other options out there and even built a small CNC machine about 10 years ago; but nothing compares to this one in terms of the simplicity, elegance and the support community.

Thanks for the good times!

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks, lets take it easy on the compliments you all are making me blush.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Right on!

Taxes didn’t work out so well for me this year….feels like small business owners get the short end of the stick. So hard to hand over such a large percentage of the small profit….I’ll wait to increase the price until after you get yours.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Don’t be modest… You also recruited and trained a whole gaggle of young geniuses! Thank you sir.

Profile photo of Asho777
    Asho777
    Participant

Happy anniversary Ryan, well done.

I started with this project in July last year, and completed the build around late September 2015.

So the first build is about 6 months old, still love it.

Cheers
    Greg.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks, and cheers…a cold one sounds great!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

I just got something delivered by UPS!!!!! Apparently I can’t say anything yet, but big news soon!

Profile photo of Asho777
    Asho777
    Participant

But you just said something…..all my finger nails are gone now….what is it….what is it….lol.

Cheers
    Greg.

Profile photo of Dave Gun
    Dave Gun
    Participant

Congrats Ryan!

I started printing mine only a few short months ago. It’s a great design, fun to build, and fun to use. Thanks to all you hard work making this possible, and I wish you continued success in year 2!!

Dave

Profile photo of John Price
    John Price
    Participant

Currently mine is still negative age since I have yet to start on mine, but soon…. soon….
    Although since I am planning on using the Smoothie Board that I got a while back, my MPCNC’s brain is technically older than the MPCNC itself!

Profile photo of nerdyrcdriver
    nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

My machine has only been almost operational (the extruder issues) for a few weeks, but I feel like it is going to be awesome when I have everything dialed in and put a plasma cutter on it this summer.

Can’t wait for an updated version!

You have put so much time, money, and effort into this machine and it really seems to be paying off (at least for the community around it). Without this website, the build would have been a great deal more difficult. I know documentation is the worst part of the job, but it is so helpful for new users or even experienced ones that need a refresher. If there was a good step by step guide to everything with pictures/video it would be awesome. I know there is already one in place, but it was lacking in a couple areas such as setting up the belts.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks guys.

Printer is almost done. I finally got a change to use my mpcnc as a mill again. This thing rocks and its more accurate than the printed parts I think. Does my opinion count about my own machine? Full depth, downcut endmill, no splintered edges, I didn’t even clamp the board down I held it by hand, 15mm/s and I could easily go faster.

I cut this piece in like 3 minutes and have to re-adjust the design to take out the tolerances I designed in.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

Looking good!

Profile photo of Asho777
    Asho777
    Participant

Is that 3 Ply? You cut that in a single depth cut, wow!

Very nice work.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Cutting one in just a minute, I’ll put up a video.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Uploading now

Profile photo of Asho777
    Asho777
    Participant

WOW….that is cutting like it was Balsa Wood, you gotta be happy with that!

nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

Using the MPCNC to build a 3d printer. SWEET!

Does the machine you used to cut the wood part have nema 17 or nema 23 motors?

Also, I love the glass desk and expo/dry erase marker! I might have to do that at work in the CAD office. Anywhere else it would surely get broken by setting tools/parts down on it too hard.

It is pretty common in the engineering dorm to do more complex problems as a group on the windows facing the lake. Next year I am building a desk for my apartment. A glass top might be necessary now.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Hope to give the printer a test drive tomorrow, fingers crossed.
    Stock machine NEMA 17’s from the kit.
    This poor desk takes a beating, I have dropped a ton of stuff on it. The dry erase comes in handy, forces me to clean up once and a while. No more stacks of scrap paper with random numbers dimensions and equations.
    Super cheap at ikea, I just extended the legs with a pvc pipe insert to make it a bit taller.

Profile photo of tmelvin
    tmelvin
    Participant

That is awesome!
    Was it just a 1/8″ down cut end mill and one or 2 flute?

Profile photo of 3dEz.us
    3dEz.us
    Participant

Ryan, Congrats! I started 3D printing with a Graber I3 back in October last year and put together the MPCNC around the Christmas holiday. I have never been so proud and learnt so much building both. I totally agree you have created a very elegant design considering the immense cost gap between the MPCNC and the other CNC’s. I have never thought I could afford a CNC machine, but even if I could have, I doubt I would have learnt so much in such a short period of time. A big thank you, and wish you reap the benefits of your hard work.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

2 flute.
    Everything was going so smooth, then I realized one part is too big for my table…..dang it! I would just make it bigger but I want everyone to be able to make one so I need to redesign a part. Lame. I got so excited about this thing I didn’t even pay attention to size.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks.

Yesterday and today I actually got to use it as a mill again. I feel like I just built it all over again. I mean, I just cnc milled a bunch of parts in my garage! I really didn’t think I would be able to do that, without dropping a ton of money. Even then I just milled 2 12″x12″ pieces, way bigger then the tormach I was looking at could handle. I understand they are made for different things but I built the machine I wanted, and just today I was proud of it all over again.

nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

Can’t wait for the printer design to launch (take your time to make it right though)! Is there a rough estimated cost per printer?

I might be involved in making a rapid prototyping/manufacturing processes lab for student use. We will have a flashforge creator pro that we already have, possibly a gmax 1.5xt, my mpcnc since I don’t have anywhere else good to put it at school, and maybe a couple of other random machines. If I could put together a few printers for a really low cost it would be awesome. Maybe even help people use the existing machines to build their own printer/cnc.

I am curious to see how it stacks up against this machine. My friend has one and the print quality is good and the machine runs beautify but there are quirks that I don’t like.

CoLiDo DIY

Profile photo of Curt
    Curt
    Participant

Nice looking. I really like the work surface. I may have to steal that idea and put glass on top of my desk for those quick notes and calculations.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.