100 ohm resistor

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cave cave 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Oscar
    Oscar
    Participant

Hey guys im building a mpcnc right now and im wondering, why do i need the 100ohm resistor and/or would it work with a 220 ohm one?
    I’ve heard that you don’t need it if you are only planning to use it as a cnc router (which i am), and that you can just change something in the marlin firmware.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

220 won’t work, pretty sure unless you change the thermistor value in the firmware. I think it would read too high of a temp.

The firmware change is easy, under thermister we have number 11, you just change it to a zero I believe and reflash it. There are actually notes in the firmware file. You might also need to disable temp checking in repetier if you do this.

Profile photo of Oscar
    Oscar
    Participant

Thanks for the fast reply, i will test the firmware change. Better than buying a set of resistors.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry for being lazy and not looking at the firmware, I was having my first cup of coffee.
    You can change this line
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 11

To either 0 (not used) or the new firmware has a 998 (always show 25C) 998 would be best!

Profile photo of Oscar
    Oscar
    Participant

It’s ok I completely understood your first reply.

Profile photo of cave
    cave
    Participant

Not 100 ohm.
    100,000 ohm (100K).

I used a plug from one of the stepper driver cables and soldered the resistor to the shortened wires, a bit fiddly but better than soldering directly to the header pins on the board.

But the firmware isn’t that scary to adjust, if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.