4' x 7' build

New Home Forum Builds and Things Built 4' x 7' build

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David David 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Just posting what I’ve got so far. This is using the 0.065″ walled stainless steel from Speedymetals, with midspan supports on the 7′ axis.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Holy crap!

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Heh, just in time to become obsolete with the new Crawlbot-ish version on the way..

I’m more hopeful about this than I was a few days ago.. With the loose gantry rails (i.e. they don’t have the top pieces on to prevent bending) I’m getting about 1/4″ bend if I put a lot of weight on it in the dead center. I’m hoping to have it up in running in time to make xmas gifts, but who knows..

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

So I got everything tightened down yesterday and measured the distance from the base to the cutting tool in various locations. So far I get a difference of ~2mm between the most supported spots (corners) and the center. Pushing hard on it can get it an extra 2-3mm closer to the base.

I haven’t put mid span supports on the 4′ sides yet, and I’ll try to avoid doing so — it would be really nice to be able to just slide a long piece in.

Of course, this is no indication that it will actually work out, but so far I think it’s encouraging. If I can keep the error at 2mm or less I think I’ll be happy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.