Annoying noise in new PSU

New Home Forum Getting Started Annoying noise in new PSU

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt saeger Matt saeger 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of James Donnelly
    James Donnelly
    Participant

I recently installed a 30A 12V LED power supply to my printer so I can add a heated bed.

It has the annoying habit of switching the fan on full every time current draw reaches a certain threshold.

At the moment, with only the steppers and the hot end drawing power it’s coming on and off every few seconds.

Anyone else have this?

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

I know the power supply that runs my 3d printer will cycle the internal fan when the heated bed is running, so it’s normal.

James Donnelly
    Participant

Fair enough, thanks. Hmm, maybe I’ll try a PC PSU mod – the noise is quite annoying.

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

It should just be a very slight fan noise, if you are hearing something else maybe its rubbing on something in there. Unplug it and open it up.

James Donnelly
    Participant

I might resort to that. Perhaps try a replacement higher quality fan.

Profile photo of Matt saeger
    Matt saeger
    Participant

Yeah those things are loud the one I had on my 3D printer was very loud too. I opened it and the fan said it took a weird voltage like 16 volts so I didn’t try and replace the fan. I modded a corsair atx power supply and to use and it is silent. I ended up using the LED strip power supply on the MPCNC which I only use as a router outside so fan noise isn’t an issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.