Bits for leveling and larger cuts?

New Home Forum Assembly Bits for leveling and larger cuts?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

So i have a Dewalt 660, so I can handle 1/4 and 1/8 inch shanks (standard)
    I am in the process of sourcing bits and parts for making my top plane board with a bunch of T slot grooves cut in there as well.
    Can anyone recomend a good bit for the D660 that will work to smooth the top of my board so that all my jobs are perfectly level? It should be a decent size so that it doesnt take 10 hours to level it.
    Also, any recomendations on a wider bit to clear large grooves etc. I have 5 bits on order from drillman already for small details, plastics, woods etc. Now i just realized ill need a couple more as well.

thanks

Profile photo of karltinsly
    karltinsly
    Participant

Harborfreight has this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/carbide-tip-straight-router-bit-set-3-pc-68869.html. I used the 3/4 to dress my spoilboard.

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

A 1/4 end mill should clean it up really fast. You will be making really shallow passes so you can move pretty fast. I would guess 15 minutes or less. My beds have been pretty close as built, and I usually end up surfacing my parts or cutting all the way through so extremly flat has never been an issue for me. Maybe I should give this a go as well it can only help right?

No experience with the T Slots sorry.

Profile photo of karltinsly
    karltinsly
    Participant

I used the 1/2 inch mill for the t slots on mine. If you’re cutting rectangular holes, don’t forget oversize them to account for the round corners.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I just ended up hitting up my local Woodsmith store. instead of buying a bit and doing that, i just bought metal T slot rails that ill mount.
    thanks for the advice folks 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.