Engraved Mirror Logos

New Home Forum Builds and Things Built Engraved Mirror Logos

This topic contains 62 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason Jason 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

9″ square mirror engraving with the Winnipeg Jets logo.

Turned out better then I expected. Mirror is looking at the stipple on my ceiling if your wondering why it looks bubbly.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

What are you engraving with?

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

3 watt laser.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Cool. So you’re burning the back side?

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Yes on the back side and the image mirrored horizontally.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Here is another… I really like how this one turned out.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Wow, looks like a cool way to make a little pocket money right there. Next time you make one could you share your settings, I think I need to give this a try.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

I used image2gcode

min 2
    max 255

speed 4000 mm/min
    added start code for setting acceleration up to 1000 for x y

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

That SOA mirror looks great. Miss that show…

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

@leo69 can you explain a bit how that optimized raster works for skipping white space…

If I understand I think that if I put 75% in to threshold number it should ignore everything under 75% power?

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

I never really used the threshold setting but I think you understand it correctly. Allows you to filter out gray levels.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

I can confirm that is not how it works… I tried 75% and 0 neither produced the proper result.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

I didn’t code that feature so I’m not familiar with it. I tried it once but I got better results by doing a full rsster engraving. The problem for me was that my acceleration settings were high for the pixel by pixel engraving so every time there was white space in image machine would speed up too fast and when it got past the white space there would be dark areas where the deceleration took place.

I don’t rush raster engravings. If something needs to be done quickly them I’ll convert to a line drawing and use dxf2gcode instead.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Yes I am learning fast that they are best done slow with high acceleration for best quality.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Here is the most recent one of the machine in honour of the Jays making the post season.

1800 mm/min
    XY Accel 1000

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

So this question is to any who may be doing mirrors…

I was watching some YouTube videos about engraving mirrors and it seems they burn all the “mirror stuff” right off. Mine seems to leave a semi transparent sparkly sandpaper looking texture after the engrave.

Now is this the laser just doesnt have to juice to get it all off or do I need to slow it down. I have been running at 1800 mm/min. And I bumped the Current on my laser from 1.7 (as per @leo69 awesome instructions) to 2.0 since the DTR website show my laser can handle about 2.5 or 2.6A. That seemed to maybe make a small difference but hard to tell visually.

One type of mirror from Rona (the ones in the pictures) engrave pretty good. But I bought 12″ x 12″ mirrors from IKEA and the do not engrave nearly as good. The backing on the IKEA mirrors is a lighter shade of gray. Could that be the difference? They are really cheap mirrors (the IKEA ones)so I would be surprised if the coating is thicker.

Just looking for ideas that I may not have thought of… Really starting to contemplate a 60 – 100 watt CO2 addition. I am loving this laser stuff lol

Edit: Wonder if the G2 lens would be worth the money for the increased power.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Under the advisement from Jordan at DTR I bought the G2 lens. Gonna give that a shot.

He also mentioned that these cheap Chinese “laser drivers” are actually LED drivers are no good for the lasers and suggested buying a real driver.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

The G2 lens is more efficient but I’ve read that it produces a slightly larger spot size so you may sacrifice some detail in your engravings, probably not enough to notice. Laser and LED drivers are both constant current drivers but I’m guessing a higher quality driver may have less ripple. I’ve hooked mine up to my scope and didn’t see lots of ripple but there are multiple iterations of this board on the market so I can’t say they’re all equal. I’ve been using mine for about two years and it’s working fine for me. If you really want more power then I’d suggest a driver from eBay seller x-wossee and maybe the nubm44 laser diode from dtr. That’s a 6 watt beast. That combo will be about twice as powerful as what you’re using now. If mirrors are you’re main projects then find some with a darker backing. The darkness of the material has a HUGE effect on power requirements. Light reflective materials will always be harder to burn.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Gonna try the lens first see what happens. I read to spray the back of the mirror with flat black paint and that should solve my issue.

My next upgrade will be to a 80-100 watt CO2 laser if anything.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

Laser paint ablation is the method I use for PCB etching but be advised that it produces some pretty toxic fumes. I wouldn’t burn paint without proper ventilation for sure.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Oh I know… It stinks like hell… I have 600 cu ft/min extraction fan running during engraving… the room is only about 120 sqft so it does a pretty good job pulling the fumes out… The first time I did it I didnt have the fun and the return air duct was wide open, the whole house smelled awful.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

So far my experience with the G2 lens is… It has basically solved my quality and penetration issues. The spot size difference is not big enough to make a difference. But is noticeably more powerful.

Made the mirrors in the attached image over the last couple days with the new lens.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

Those look great ! Thanks for posting your findings.I think you’ve convinced me to make the investment:-)

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Also under the advice from the dude from DTR I upped my current to 2 amps from the 1.7 amps that was mentioned in the setup tutorial.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

Shouldn’t be an issue with active cooling but hard to say for sure unless you have a thermocouple on it to monitor diode temps. Once they get past threshold, degradation sets in much quicker. I run mine at 1.85 and have lots of miles on it. Most of the hardcore laser enthusiasts run very nice heatsink and cooling setups that allow them to push diodes toward their limits.I’m a little more conservative.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

The x-wossee drivers are really nice because they have thermistor input which allows safety shutoff if temps are exceeded.let’s you run on the bleeding edge

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

I am running vicious1’s laser holder that he has on thingiverse, with a slightly higher then normal cfm fan blowing down thru the holder. I also have the heatsink you mentioned in your tutorial. I probably have maybe 150 hours on my laser so far.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

i have been thinking about getting one of x-wossee’s drivers off ebay. I do not think it has a themistor input though.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

Your final product has come a long way.very nice work

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Thanks… I am interested to see if it now properly pentrates these other 12 inch mirrors that were not working as nice as i had hoped. I will post pics when I get to those.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.