Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

New Home Forum Software Development Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 163 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill Branan Bill Branan 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 151 through 164 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bill Branan
    Bill Branan
    Participant

Glenn: Those pins used by the display are also used by ESTLCAM, so unless the firmware is rewritten to use different pins and support the display, no.

Matt: I think you will run into a pulse rate limit trying to use 1/32 for the Z and getting any reasonable max feed rate. Almost all steppers have 200 full steps/revolution. At 1/4 resolution (1.25mm/revolution/800 steps = 0.0016mm/microstep). Even at 1/1 it is 1.25/200=.006mm/microstep resolution (more than enough for most work).

X&Y are different as the belt and pulley gives 16*2mm=32mm/revolution. At 1/1 this gives 0.16mm/step which is pretty coarse. Most folks seem to run at 1/8 which gives 32/1600=.02mm/microstep, more than adequate.

My rule is to use the minimum number of microsteps to give the desired resolution and smooth quiet operation.

As for accelleration and Inertia, Christian has a good video on how to experimentally determine the optimal numbers. I found Vicious’ to be a good starting point.

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

@Bill Branan

Thanks for your answer i understand better how it works 😉

Could you eventually tell me how much an 8mm threaded rod travel per revolution ?

Bill Branan
    Participant

Matt: As I noted above, the most common 8mm threaded rod has a pitch of 1.25 mm. As it is a single start thread, the lead is also 1.25mm which is the distance it travels per revolution. A fine metric thread has a pitch and lead of 1.0mm.

Profile photo of Glenn
    Glenn
    Participant

Thank you @Bill Branan

Profile photo of ManuCNC
    ManuCNC
    Participant

How do I configure the origin of the axes in Estlcam?

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

@manucnc
    The zero button on the bottom of the list on the left. It lets you set your zero point anywhere you want.

Profile photo of Christian Knuell
    Christian Knuell
    Participant

Hi,

I added a new video showing a little trick to zero workpieces:

Christian

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Admin

Very nice work!

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

@vicious1

I tired to set up ESTLCAM according to your basic set up on the first page but i am not getting good results.

Z is working correctly but X and Y motors are grinding, they make strange noise and stop moving.
    I tried to put them in 1/8 step like christian is recommanding and putting the acceleration to 32mm but it did not resolve the problem.

The only way i found to get things working correctly is to reduce the feedrate to 90mm/s.

Can you tell me how you manage to get 150mm/s on the X and Y axis please ?

• This reply was modified 21 hours, 27 minutes ago by Profile photo of Matt Matt.
    vicious1
    Admin

I use Marlin. I am not the one to ask about this.

Bill Branan
    Participant

Sounds like not enough power in the motor. How much current are you running through your steppers? What is the voltage of the supply and the rated motor voltage?

vicious1
    Admin

It is most likely a software setting (wrong math), unless you have never moved the machine before. in that case verify with marlin first.

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

@vicious1

I asked you because you put settings for ESTLCAM on the first page so i assumed you have tested it for a period of time and i was wondering how you were able to sustain 150mm/s….

It’s not a pronlem anymore, like i said i reduced it to 90mm/s and everything is woking this way.

I alreday moved the machine with repetier before switching to estlcam and everything was working good but again it means nothing because following your guide the contols are limited to 3600mm/min wich equals 60mm/S. So at 90mm/S i am above your recommending settings for repetier host.
    So that’s why i was wondering how you could get ESTLCAM work at 150mm/s ???

@billbranan

I am runing Nema 17 2A with DRV8825 steppers at 0.71V and a power supply of 12 volts and 20 amps. A really standard and conservative setup.

Bill Branan
    Participant

Matt: I’m also using 12V power with NEMA17 motors with a resistance of 12.5ohms but only running about 0.5A through each one.I found they heat up too much with 1A. I determined max feedrate by increasing until motor stutter then backing off about 25%. Same settings for Repetier. (I use the same setup for my 3D printer with different settings)
    X,Y steps/revolution: 1600
    Z steps/revolution: 800
    max feed rate x,y: 6000mm/m = 100mm/s
    max feed rate z: 300mm/m
    Inertia: 70%
    Acceleration Distance: 2mm
    Start Feed Rate: 60mm/m

Can you get a higher feedrate with Repetier than ESTLCAM? I couldn’t.

Viewing 14 posts - 151 through 164 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.