Has anyone mounted their MPCNC vertically?

New Home Forum Assembly Has anyone mounted their MPCNC vertically?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David David 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

I’m looking at my garage and realizing I don’t *really* have the space to set this up horizontally, but I have an unfinished garage with exposed 2×10 beams, making it perfect for mounting vertically. This will of course change the load distribution quite a bit, with most of the weight on the top and bottom conduit rails. I’m thinking I could drill into the bottoms of them to add a few threaded rods, which I can then more fully support from below. It seems like I might even end up with less flex this way, since the vertical gantry rail would completely support the center piece.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did it turn out?

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

You’ll have to figure out how to counterbalance the router/spindle. It’s been done, just not with this cnc yet.
    https://buildyourcnc.com/item/cnc-machine-greenLean-v1

Here’s the spring they use for their gantry.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Interesting..

On my kossel I mounted counterweights on pulleys to offset the weight of the flying extruder (basically an extruder mounted above the effector that’s tied to the carriages, allowing for an ultra-short bowden). It’s a bit crude, but it didn’t appear to hurt the print quality. I’m wondering if just a pulley+counterweight mounted to the ceiling would do the trick…

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

I’m using a keychain retractor for my flying extruder. I had 3 but it was a little overkill, one seems to work. I had a pulley system with a counterweight, but it would start to do the pendulum thing and cause layer height funkyness.
    https://goo.gl/photos/dNbtShTHWiF9YXkw6

Counterweights would probably work. One off each side bearing.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

I’ll have to try that with the keychain retractors!

2 counterweights seems reasonable… I may try this

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.