Leeches?

New Home Forum Updates Leeches?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mmmfishtacos Mmmfishtacos 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Aze Aze
    Aze Aze
    Participant

Wait for Ebay first, they will do something (they will admit it’s the same design.) But I doubt he will sell one of them. You can otherwise make a false ebay account from his country, put exactly the same title to be in the same results than him with a better price, and to explain then from where it comes, under which licences and how much you really sell them, etc…

vicious1
    Keymaster

I love the way you think!

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

I sent him a question through eBay citing your design and asked if he had permission to sell it. Maybe enough comments like this will prompt him to remove it on his own.

Profile photo of John Paterson
    John Paterson
    Participant

Hi Allted,
    No. I don’t think you are being petty at all.
    You put in loads of original effort and were generous enough to share it with the world.
    Thank you.

This spanish guy has obviously used your specific design (and, originally, your photos) without honestly stating attribution.
    Not only that, he is now denying it is your design!
    But your design is so distinctive, there can be no mistake…it’s yours!
    I am so sorry there are such selfish folk.
    I hope he makes no money from this ebay ad.

vicious1
    Keymaster

I still can’t put my finger on why this bugs me so much. If anyone built another one for a friend or two and made some dough, I have zero issues with that I actually love that idea. I have released all the files, no issues with people making one.

I think it just has something to do with everything else that goes with it. I just know when something goes wrong he will point them straight here. Putting the burden of education on all of us here. What makes it worse is it is a non standard build. I can’t trouble shoot something I don’t own. If they come here and don’t get help, they will talk about this project in a negative manner, when really we had nothing to do with it.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

You’re preaching to the choir. I think I can safely say we’re all behind you on this one. Hopefully, eBay will rectify this. It would be nice if they had a mechanism to prevent this sort of thing – maybe enough complaints could temporarily remove a listing until the issue is resolved. Anyway, if he had just asked for permission to sell his “modified” machine and properly credited you, it probably wouldn’t even be an issue. But the way he went about it makes him look really slimy – especially denying it’s your design when it clearly is.

Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just playing devil’s advocate here, is it possible they are selling a machine they made for their own use, and decided not to keep? Is it also possible they bought at least some of the parts from you?

Is it also possible they bought the kits from you, and are trying to sell it as assembled? That’s OK too, right? You don’t sell assembled kits.

If they are making their own kit, using your designs and selling it without all the proper knowledge to go with it, then 1) buyer beware, and 2) yep, get mad if it makes you mad.

No way they are going to get $2500 for it.

vicious1
    Keymaster

I would be okay with someone trying to sell there machine, I even put a link up for someone on my thingiverse page. I get this isn’t for everyone. But sadly its not the case, And none of those parts are mine.

This isn’t the first time this has happened and actually it is going for the same price….but at least the last guy actually emailed me and asked lots of questions and decided he didn’t want to peruse it.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

You should sell franchise licenses. You did all the initial work and you likely will have to offer some sort of support. That way, at least you’re getting a cut. πŸ˜‰

vicious1
    Keymaster

Lots of people have asked, once they get a little further they realize how little I make. Every single one backed out. That is before we even got into what they would be willing to send my way. You all see the cost of the parts, it’s more about the time that goes into it. Bagging hardware prepping the boards, bulk shipping from china isn’t free, so my prices are actually the same or more than some of you got from aliexpress. I am really charging for time and taxes at this point. Walking a fine line of, is it worth it?

I might stop selling the arduinos separately as well. Those have a high rate of failure and take the most time to prep. $50 is not worth it at all. Only available in the kit I think.

There really isn’t much in it, That is why I have to raise the prices soon. Taxes took 25% of the profit plus the accountant fees, so that’s probably what I will need to raise and compensate for.

oops/rampling, wrong thread for this.

Profile photo of C
    C
    Participant

The fact that he claims that it’s redesigned and “far from his model” when it clearly isn’t, is a real kick in the teeth. That would annoy me the most.
    You can see some slight add-ons but the bulk of it looks identical.

Profile photo of A Trap
    A Trap
    Participant

Just sent a nasty gram, I will let you know if I get a reply.

Thanks for all of your work!!

Profile photo of Anthony
    Anthony
    Participant

Disappointing…..

I would get in touch with Ebay and let them take down this guy’s auction. I am a top rated ebay seller, and we have to deal with clones and fakes all of the time in our business. eBay is usually very responsive to things like this. I recommend calling them instead of emailing.

I think that you have inspired a lot of people and that there will be some that try to profit from it. I think that the community will support you Just take care of your customers and be the best you can be, and it will pay off.

For example, I could have purchased all of my CNC items from China and probably even saved some, but I want to support your business and what you do, that’s why I purchased from you, others will do the same…… MPCNC is your baby. And wouldn’t exist without you. Don’t let this ebay seller get on your nerves too much—-just get ebay involved and know that your customers support Vicious Circle, and that is where the beauty of your hard work will really pay off.

Profile photo of ztbex
    ztbex
    Participant

I don’t think you’re being petty. I would be really annoyed too. He isn’t even nice about it, instead he actually is rude by saying that there are lots of shortcomings etc. If that’s the case, he should contribute by posting his ‘ so called fixes’ . Which is apparently just a bunch of bull since it’s actually just a pretty standard built from what i can see. He even used mdf as feet….I wouldn’t really call that an upgrade.

I hope eBay fixes this. I think most people here understand that you don’t make money from this if you take into account all the time and effort you put in. People here try to help each other creating a better machine together. And i think that is really what you want. So yes, I would have a problem with this too. GL

Oh btw. My machine is up and running and I will post pictures of it soon, but I don’t have a Z axis right now. I was curious about how strong carbon fiber was, so I ordered some 25mm (23mm id) carbon fiber tubing to use for the Z axis. (Just as an experiment. It wasn’t even that expensive…)

Profile photo of RH1N0
    RH1N0
    Participant

Think I’ll buy the e-bay one – it looks like a bargain πŸ˜›

vicious1
    Keymaster

Thanks.

I keep meaning to buy some CF, it isn’t too expensive and how cool would that be if it did hold up?! keep us in the loop

vicious1
    Keymaster

Okay new day, thanks guys for all the support.

It really isn’t that big of a deal unless someone buys it and ends up in this forum, or he sells it and lists another. I would still help the new owner because obviously they would need it for not doing a little research first….and if another pops up I can call ebay and see what they say.

Other than that. I have new parts to design to overcome my obvious design “shortcomings” and help him raise his prices a bit!!

Profile photo of tmelvin
    tmelvin
    Participant

It looks like he took it down. I think we might have scared him

vicious1
    Keymaster

High five!!!!

βœ‹

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Not the least petty. You have placed items out there and like several others now you’re finding leeches. It appears to be spreading and it sucks because it will ultimately kill off the openness we enjoy with Thingiverse and other sites. These sites have allowed me to quickly find files I can learn with and garner ideas from. It sucks that individuals want that to go away for greed. In the end nobody will post stuff and they wont make any money. Leeching is a lose/lose proposition. Sorry it has to be really frustrating givent he time you have in especially.

DL

Profile photo of ShaneEEEE
    ShaneEEEE
    Participant

He would have been walking a fine line if he did sell it as his ‘own’….since its mostly 3D printed and we all know not everything that is 3D printed will stand the test of time. We build these machines because most of us have our own printer or know someone who does, so if something breaks we can just print a new piece. Not exactly something someone who bought it on eBay could do…so yeah he is walking a fine line and would ultimately doom himself with complaints from people who can’t get it working or break something when they put it together.

vicious1
    Keymaster

I was more worried about that than the money thing. I didn’t want this goofballs design to damage the image of the machine in any way. Poor parts would give this a bad reputation and the uninformed wouldn’t know that it wasn’t mine, or my infill recommendations or whatever. So many ways this could cause a bad outcome for me and zero ways this could help.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Anyone speak Spanish (I think)?

Got another leech. He sold two of my kits now and has just listed 3 more.

I asked the company to take it don they said I have to prove ownership by filling out a form they sent me that seems corrupt, at least I can’t get it to open in google sheets. I asked them to have him prove he owns it, they said they wouldbe happy to talk to my lawyer about it.

He has taken the images from my site and thingiverse and I linked the company to both and the license it is released under (non commercial) they said they is not proof of ownership please send in the form or have your lawyer contact us.

Here are the current links if you all have any ideas, http://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/anybody-speak-this-language/#post-22233

Profile photo of Travis
    Travis
    Participant

I can try to get my sister to look at this she is a law firm English-Spanish-English document translator. Might take me a day to get her.

What do you want to know about it?

Where is this yahoo located? If it’s Chile I might be able to find some of her in laws to have a chat with them, meh it’s a big long country…

Profile photo of Bill
    Bill
    Participant

Argentina is where it looks like to me.

Profile photo of Mmmfishtacos
    Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Not that it will do much. But do you have a lawer? It could help when you get local leeches. There isn’t much you can do about someone in some other country selling your machine.

Have you tried watermarking your photos? Possible any photo of the machine that is loaded on the forum. I’m sure users here would understand the need for it. It would be great if they are using paths from this site to theirs for their photos, because then you could water mark them and it would change on their site as well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.