My mpcnc project!

This topic contains 56 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bashar Bashar 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

So I’m getting ready to built my first mpcnc. I want to built a 24 x 36 mpcnc. Will I need some support on the 36″ side?

I’m at the point of cutting the 3/4″ conduit to size. I have everything I need to put it together.

All of my 3D printed parts are the latest pieces as of right now.

What do you think?

Brandon

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Probably not necessary but it definitely would not hurt.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

How do I know how long my legs should be? I’m planning on a 6″ Z cutting area.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

check this link out Calculator

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

These new Calculators are way nicer.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Thanks! The first calculator that Jason recommended was the one I was using but it doesn’t seem to have the leg height, at least from what I see.

This one works a lot better. Imperial – https://jscalc.io/calc/Y1Db347ni9eckSKc

Thanks Jason and vicious1!!!

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Here are some of the printed parts. I may need to reprint the blue stuff in red, white or black.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

So I’ve got everything put together on a temporary piece of plywood. The gantry slides around like butter. Very impressive compared to the when I built my Eustathios Spider V2. I plan on building a table for it but I need to basically get everything functional before I bring it home from work…

I pulled out the ramps board and mounted the DRV8825 Drivers and Heat Sinks on it. Now I’m starting to get overwhelmed… Can I just hook up my Nema 17 steppers or do I need to tweak the DRV8825 drivers?

Profile photo of Walter
    Walter
    Participant

There’s a link on the instructions page showing you how to adjust the drivers. i assume that since you said you installed them yourself that you didn’t buy the pre-setup kit. I would advise against trying to drive your motors before you get the voltages rangled in.

vicious1
    Keymaster

If you bought the ramps set from here the drivers are good to go. If not start by setting them at about .7V and check the stepper temps after some use. The defualt driver settings is 1.6V that is no good for the drivers or the steppers.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

I don’t have any voltage as shown in the capture from the video. Bad ramps board?

I guess I should mention I’m testing this right off the Ramps board. Not sure if that matters, I don’t think it would.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Vicious1, The parts list listed the ramps board to order on Amazon. I didn’t realize it was available through the shop.

Profile photo of Walter
    Walter
    Participant

What kind of multimeter are you using? the voltages will be lower than 1v hopefully. they usually ship set at .72-1.2v you want to start at around .5-.6 to start off. your x and y will be fine at that setting but you may want to go lower like .42 for the z and start at .4 for an extruder but those are all over the place so that’s where you’ll be dialing in. basically set your mm to the lowest dc setting and put the common lead on ground and test hot by touching the potentiometer screw itself and NOTHING ELSE. adjust the screw slowly until you reach the proper voltage. if your screwdriver handle is metal then get a rag or a glove and don’t touch any metal with your hands because it can throw off the reading… most of us use a small metal screwdriver with the hot lead of the mm touching the shaft, but this can be dangerous with so many parts on the surface of such a tiny pcb. just be careful.

Profile photo of Walter
    Walter
    Participant

Oh and I should mention this all has to be done with the arduino hooked up and the drivers installed and everything powered up, which is why it’s so dangerous (for the arduino at least)

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

When I check the voltage on the potentiometer screw and what I assume is the ground in the picture in post# 15662 I’m getting .00XX VDC. I’m using a Fluke 289 Multi meter. Would turning the screw change this voltage?

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

If you bought the ramps set from here the drivers are good to go. If not start by setting them at about .7V and check the stepper temps after some use. The default driver settings is 1.6V that is no good for the drivers or the steppers.

I set them to .7V. I had to set my meter to mVDC.

Do I need to update the firmware for the Arduino 2560? When it’s plugged into Repetier Host, I get the following in the logs:

No start signal detected – forcing start.
    Communication timeout

The Arduino is a first for me. If there is a guide or explanation of what to do that would be great.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Did you flash any firmware at all? Do you have the resistor connected on pin T0?

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

I haven’t done anything with the firmware.

I don’t have the resistor connected yet. I assume it will need to be soldered on? With not having the resistor connected, would that stop the stepper motors from rotating?

vicious1
    Keymaster

If you did not buy it from here you need to flash the arduino, and the resistor must be connected.

firmware- http://www.vicious1.com/marlin-firmware/
    ramps- http://www.vicious1.com/assembly/ramps-wiring/
    software – http://www.vicious1.com/assembly/software/

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

When I went to compile or verify the firmware I got this error:

Arduino: 1.6.10 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

In file included from sketch\ConfigurationStore.cpp:65:0:

sketch\language.h:65:0: warning: “MACHINE_NAME” redefined

#define MACHINE_NAME CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME

^

sketch\language.h:61:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define MACHINE_NAME “Mendel”

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:47:0:

sketch\language.h:65:0: warning: “MACHINE_NAME” redefined

#define MACHINE_NAME CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME

^

sketch\language.h:61:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define MACHINE_NAME “Mendel”

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2715:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

LCD_MESSAGEPGM(MACHINE_NAME” “MSG_OFF”.”);

^

In file included from sketch\SdFile.h:27:0,

from sketch\cardreader.h:8,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:44:

SdBaseFile.h:38: error: using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

struct fpos_t {

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin.h:10:0,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:30:

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\stdio.h:950:33: note: ‘fpos_t’ has a previous declaration here

__extension__ typedef long long fpos_t;

^

exit status 1
    using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

This report would have more information with
    “Show verbose output during compilation”
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Please use an older version of arduino. It has just been updated and they moved the libraries for some crazy reason. You can down load classic or older and be fine. This just happened very recently.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Are you saying to select a different board and compile again? Which one from the attached picture?

Attachments:
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Nope, download the 1.0.6 version from here, https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases#previous

Marlin has just been updated 5 days ago and is under very active updates, so we are stuck with using the older version of arduino until marlin stabilizes a bit.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

So I got the firmware loaded. I’ve already adjusted the voltage on the drivers. Installed the resistor on T0. Repetier Host seems to connect and see the ramps board. However, I’m still not able to get the steppers to move. Not sure if when everything is powered up if I should see any voltage between ground and the potentiometer screw.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Lets see a picture of your board

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Here you go:

vicious1
    Keymaster

Power?

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Here is the power supply.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Are you asking if I have the ramps board powered? Doesn’t it get power from the Arduino?

Attachments:
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.