Home / Forum / Assembly / Need help after my screw up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of RandyRandy
    Post count: 2
    #7813 |

    Hi all,

    First off I’m doing this project so I could learn about arduino/ramps. So I have little working knowledge so bear with me.

    I thought I should take it slow so I bought the kit from here. That way all the electronics would be setup for me.

    I got everything printed and assembled. I started doing the wiring and was moving the steppers back and forth. At this point I was pretty excited until I crashed the Z assembly. I selected 10 instead of 1. So i though I better put end stops on.

    I screwed up while wiring a end stop on the ramps board. I plugged it in to the wrong pins and when I press the switch I started to see smoke from the mega board. I pulled the plug right away but the damage was done.

    Well I unplugged everything off the board and when I plugged the power back up all I got was a blue screen. No words.

    I brought it back to the computer and plugged in the USB cord and now everything looks normal but when I hook up the power adapter I get nothing (not even a blue screen)

    I already bought a mega 2560 so I thought I could put the marlin firmware on it and see if that would work.

    I downloaded the marlin firmware made the changes to configuration.h, verified and uploaded but nothing on the screen. No errors.

    So I downloaded B16_32_fullG-112515 but when I verify I get errors (see below)

    Do you guy know how I can put the correct marlin firmware on? I extracted and doubled clicked on B16_32_fullG-112515 and it brought up Arduino 1.6.7. I made sure that the 2560 is selected for board and processor and press verify. U8glib shows at the bottom of the library.

    I don’t know if something burnt out on the arduino and/or ramps board. But I want to at least try to swap out the arduino board since I have one.

    Thanks for any help.

    Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

    In file included from sketch\ultralcd.cpp:5:0:

    sketch\language.h:65:0: warning: “MACHINE_NAME” redefined [enabled by default]



    sketch\language.h:61:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

    #define MACHINE_NAME “Mendel”


    In file included from sketch\dogm_lcd_implementation.h:39:0,

    from sketch\ultralcd.cpp:39:

    sketch\dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory

    #include <utility/u8g.h>


    compilation terminated.

    exit status 1
    Error compiling.

    This report would have more information with
    “Show verbose output during compilation”
    enabled in File > Preferences.

    Profile photo of WalterWalter
    Post count: 186
    #7815 |

    Delete your u8glib library. restart arduino ide to verify the library is gone. then go to the link from the instructions and download the library manually. import the library from inside arduino. whenever you restart arduino and it asks you to update the libraries, select cancel. do not update the library from the update utility just use it as is. I had the same problem

    Profile photo of RandyRandy
    Post count: 2
    #7826 |


    I will try that when I get home.

    Profile photo of ualdayanualdayan
    Post count: 61
    #7876 |

    Sounds like you accidentally touched the endstop VCC pin to ground, it causes a short that fries the 5V voltage regulator very quickly. The good news is replacement Mega 2560s are only $7.50 from Ebay or $12 from Amazon. Are you trying to reprogram the old one or program a new one? Reprogramming the old one will not fix your voltage regulator – it’s a hardware component, not software. You can try soldering on a new replacement voltage regulator, but it’s not really economical unless you happen to have a place locally that you can get the voltage regulators without paying shipping. You can even try removing the voltage regulator altogether – it’s only used to convert the 12V from RAMPS into 5V for the Mega – if you’re hooked up to USB it can just get the 5V that way.

    Link: http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-a-fried-Arduino-Mega/

    Profile photo of RandyRandy
    Post count: 2
    #7890 |

    When I first started to look at doing this project I went out to Microcenter and bought a Mega 2560 for about $10. Then I decided just to buy the kit from here. Hoping that Vicious makes some profit instead of giving it to Amazon. And since I had no experience with arduino yet I thought I would leave it up to the experts.

    So last night after manually adding the u8glib library (didn’t realize it was as simple as deleting the folder in myDocs\ar\lib\ and extracting the new one there) I was able to successfully add the marlin firmware and everything seems to be working good with the new 2560.

    I still feel like a dumbass plugging the endstop wires on the wrong pins. Since I was looking at a picture of the correct way at the time. But at least I found other posts of people doing the same thing as me. Which made me feel slightly better. : )

    Thanks everyone for the help!

    Profile photo of WalterWalter
    Post count: 186
    #7898 |

    Well thats 2 of us so far. there must definitely be a bug in the latest library update in the arduino db

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.