Other CNC machines/makerspace ideas

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC Other CNC machines/makerspace ideas

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nerdyrcdriver nerdyrcdriver 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nerdyrcdriver
    nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

Hey guys,

I absolutely love my MPCNC and can’t wait to get home for the summer next Saturday and set it up again.

I have recently been selected to make a list of things that would be nice for a makerspace in the college of engineering, adding up to around $15k. I would like to build a MPCNC with all of the updated parts (building wouldn’t start until fall) but I feel like students would have a much easier time using the x carve. And when I graduate I wouldn’t be leaving behind a machine that might be harder to find documentation for (though I don’t feel like this forum is going to be lost forever).

Does anyone here have experience with any machine like a Shapeoko or x carve? What are your thoughts compared to the MPCNC? Either way I would go with nema 23 stepper motors for more torque and the x carve would probably get the router mount rather than their tiny quiet spindle.

Profile photo of nusatsum
    nusatsum
    Participant

Just think of all the MPCNCs you could buy for $15k… 🙂

Profile photo of nerdyrcdriver
    nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

The CNC machine is only a portion of the budget. I know I could build a MPCNC pretty cheap, but I feel like students would screw it up easily. There is a much greater learning curve to it than the x carve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.