Home / Forum / Troubleshooting / Overheating extruder

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of jimmystanley37jimmystanley37
    #3993 |

I am bringing this topic into the trouble shooting section instead of on the thingiverse comments, sorry allted. If what your saying is right, and i somehow blew a mosfet on the RAMPS, you said to change the board type and use a different port for the hotend. i was using D9 like the instructions said, but read that is the bed port, and that d10 is usually used for the extruder. can i switch it to the d10, and if so, what firmware edits do i need to make? i plan to pick up another set of RAMPS if that is what is indeed wrong. you also said to cover the RAMPS, i have them in a box i printed. is that what you meant? and as far as your response time, it is more than awesome

Profile photo of vicious1vicious1
    #3997 |

d8 d9 d10 are interchangeable, one is not normally for the bed. The edits are in several places in the firmware, the easiest is in config.h. just change to a different ramps configuration.
    Why would you get a new board, you have 3 ports you only messed up 1, if you are worried you can just replace the mosfet. make sure they are not touching each other.
    Yes just a box for the electronics so they can’t get metal chips on them or touched. Make sure it is vented and preferably with a fan, this generates a lot of heat.

Profile photo of jimmystanley37jimmystanley37
    #3998 |

ok, i do have a fan vented box i made. and i will probably replace the bad mosfet if i can source one up here soon. i’ll try and figure out how to change the ramps config. like i said, i am learning.

Profile photo of SteveCSteveC
    #4002 |

I replaced the RAMPS heated bed MOSFET on my Robo3D printer with an IRLB3036PBF. It will also work well as a replacement for the extruder MOSFET.

It has a much lower Rds (on resistance) than the ones typically installed on RAMPS so it will run cooler.

Steve C

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.