PCB (and drawing) tool chain

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC PCB (and drawing) tool chain

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John John 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Hi,

I’m pretty new to this still… I’ve got a handle on 3d printing and the tool chain involved to go from design to a print.

I do need help with a tool chain for PCB milling or for just drawing pictures (like a plotter). I’m probably missing something easy, but I don’t see intuitively how to get from a circuit in Fritzing or Eagle to something Repetier Host (if I need to use that even) can mill out for me.

Anyone have suggestions?

thanks.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

If you can output a DXF or DWG estcam picks that up no problem.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

I can save it as an SVG, though the lines are thin in Estlcam and I don’t see how to make it cut around them so they have depth… see the attachment. the traces should be wide enough (I guess?) that estlcam can cut around the outside of them…

which I suspect still has some element of operator error in there… 🙂

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

We must be missing a step. I haven’t done a PCB’s But I was just recommended fritzing on this forum a few weeks ago so I know it works.

Looks like Mike is the man to ask, http://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/pcb-isolation-milling/

Sorry I couldn’t help.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

just figured it out… the lines in fritzing are traces for drawing and not paths for etching/milling.

so I step it through Inkscape to turn the drawing paths into an outline (which makes it a milling path)

like so:
    Open the *yourfilename*_etch_copper_bottom_mirror.svg in Inkscape, select everything and repeatedly press ctrl+shift+g until everything is ungrouped.
    Select view -> display mode -> outline. You will now see only the vectors without fill or stroke.
    Select all traces and go to Path -> Stroke to Path.
    Select all traces and go to Path -> Union.
    Save.

that gets this SVG which opens like so in estlcam

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

By the way.., thanks for the lightning quick replies. This has been very simple to get going so far, mainly from decent documentation, clear design, and quick replies here.

The forum and especially your replies on the forum are what sold me on this machine.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Ah, that makes sense. Bummer that you need another program to stroke the lines, might be hard to get them the the exact size you need. I can’t believe eagle doesn’t do this.

You welcome and thank you for being part of the forum. Every thread just makes it better!

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Eagle very well might do the traces properly. It on my list of stuff to try. Fritzing just didn’t quite do it all by itself. However, it’s 2 minutes in Inkscape to get it ready…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.