Request for new machine – MPCNC crawler

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Request for new machine – MPCNC crawler

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John John 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Curt
    Curt
    Participant

I started in the 3D world with a Printrbot Simple metal and after expanding the build volume I still think it is a great printer. While on their site earlier today I looked at the Crawlbot. It is real cool but not worth $3,999.00 they are asking for it. I would think it would not be all that hard to make the carriage to hold the router for the X and Z movements and use belts inverted as tracks to run on. How about it @Ryan can we see what your mad skills can come up with?

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Mac only software??? Other than that pretty slick. I love it!

So 4’x8’x2″ cutting area, under $3,999, what other stipulations? Can I use conduit? Does anyone really want to cut full sheets? I just moved so I have a larger work space…..Tilted table?….interesting. The way they have it the z tolerances look to be reliant on the table surface and the hopes that no chips get under the wheels, I could be wrong. It will be plenty good enough for wood, I would still want to use a rail though. How have I not seen this in the last year?

Profile photo of Benjamin Shaw
    Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

Looks awesome. I agree, seems chips would easily get under the wheels.

Profile photo of Curt
    Curt
    Participant

I think side rails would be great. It could be made flexible enough to be 4’x 8′ but could be anything smaller. I am thinking “A” frames on the sides to support the X and Z but allow for the X to be moved for narrow pieces. It would not be hard to clamp the conduit on the ends of the boards to lock them in place. I am hoping this triggered a new project since you have done a AWESOME job on your other designs.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

I had thought about this as well. In my mind, a combination of MPCNC and Makerslide was kind of what I envisioned, but that was prior to really looking into what was possible with the MPCNC and conduits.

I was imagining more of a dedicated table though, with 10′ conduit flush on the work table for the Y axis, and using the makerslide to get a nice and rigid X axis.

SOOO Many possibilities. Makes me wish I was better at doing design work.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Let’s see…
    CNC some edge pieces out of MDF…
    3d print mounts for steppers / conduit / etc..
    conduit to hold the two sides together.
    something similar to the mp3dp gantry but in conduit, with bearings as usual…
    roller blade wheels..

sub $500, right?

Profile photo of nusatsum
    nusatsum
    Participant

Yes please!

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Almost done… If it works. I drove it under its own power this evening. Minor z axis tweak I hope will finish it up.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Looking forward to the low rider… sucks that someone is ripping off your designs though.

Wonder if you could host the stl’s here behind a paywall and only grant forum membership to those that buy something. It’s probably a mess to do that though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.