SBase, Smoothieware

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David David 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Before anyone gets offended, I tried to buy legit smoothieboards. I understand there is some open source beef going on in the smoothie world. For me I might be able to buy a single smoothieboard but if I want to be able to offer them as a bundle option, I need a bunch of boards. I have emailed the US supplier many times over the last few months.
    No Reply.

So I bought an SBase v1.3. I have no idea the difference between the v1.2 and the v1.3 I can only assume it is the quick fixes of the v1.2 added in and someone renamed it but not MKS.

Hardware-
    -The board is very easy from my perspective I don’t have to assemble anything (unless you count inserting a micro SD). I don’t have to manually adjust pots.
    -This would also make the power supplies easier for me to deal with.
    -The full graphic LCD from the shop works (although the plugs have to be inserted the wrong way in the jacks).
    -The standard stepper plugs are a bad fit, pulling the white plug housings off the board makes them fit much better.
    -large heatsinks preinstalled and it looks like you can also add some to the bottoms of all the chips (drv8825 chips drain heat from the bottoms much better I have read)

Software-
    -Smoothieware is easy enough to configure. I will not say it is easier than marlin, not even a little bit. It can be much more easily customized in some ways but the polish is not there like it is in marlin, and I think repetier firmware is even more polished than marlin.
    -I understand that these processors are more powerful but for what we do it doesn’t matter.
    -All the same settings as marlin really, no game changers in my book.
    -It does have some direct settings for spindles and other external components, marlin/ramps does as well but smoothie makes it easier.

If anyone want to give it a try, I will attach my bare bones config for the MPCNC. I have not fully tested this cutting anything yet but it all works as well as the LCD.

Anyone think I am missing something?
    Cool boards and software, hope to offer them as a bundle option soon.

Attachments:
    1. config.zip
    Profile photo of Dave C.
    Dave C.
    Participant

So the SBase is a clone of Smoothieboard? Looks like a decent upgrade from the RAMPS. I plan on upgrading one of my 3D printers from RAMPS to a Smoothieboard at some point.

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Not really a clone they made some changes. I think mostly for the better, but they did take off the extra power port and made the single a better connection.

I wouldn’t really call it an upgrade, looks like all the math based motion is actually a little behind marlin. Only better if you have a fast delta and need faster calculations. Other than that there is not much difference except the price.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

I have been using the SBase for my MPCNC and am relatively satisfied with it.. There’s some weirdness with EstlCam, but Fusion 360 has an official Smoothieware postprocessor (make sure to comment out the G28 calls if you don’t have endstops!).

Being able to create slave steppers means I didn’t have to do any fancy wiring. After having fried a couple stepper drivers in the past, I *really* like the ability to set the current in software.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.