Home / Forum / Hardware / SBase, Smoothieware

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of vicious1vicious1
    #17804 |

Before anyone gets offended, I tried to buy legit smoothieboards. I understand there is some open source beef going on in the smoothie world. For me I might be able to buy a single smoothieboard but if I want to be able to offer them as a bundle option, I need a bunch of boards. I have emailed the US supplier many times over the last few months.
    No Reply.

So I bought an SBase v1.3. I have no idea the difference between the v1.2 and the v1.3 I can only assume it is the quick fixes of the v1.2 added in and someone renamed it but not MKS.

-The board is very easy from my perspective I don’t have to assemble anything (unless you count inserting a micro SD). I don’t have to manually adjust pots.
    -This would also make the power supplies easier for me to deal with.
    -The full graphic LCD from the shop works (although the plugs have to be inserted the wrong way in the jacks).
    -The standard stepper plugs are a bad fit, pulling the white plug housings off the board makes them fit much better.
    -large heatsinks preinstalled and it looks like you can also add some to the bottoms of all the chips (drv8825 chips drain heat from the bottoms much better I have read)

-Smoothieware is easy enough to configure. I will not say it is easier than marlin, not even a little bit. It can be much more easily customized in some ways but the polish is not there like it is in marlin, and I think repetier firmware is even more polished than marlin.
    -I understand that these processors are more powerful but for what we do it doesn’t matter.
    -All the same settings as marlin really, no game changers in my book.
    -It does have some direct settings for spindles and other external components, marlin/ramps does as well but smoothie makes it easier.

If anyone want to give it a try, I will attach my bare bones config for the MPCNC. I have not fully tested this cutting anything yet but it all works as well as the LCD.

Anyone think I am missing something?
    Cool boards and software, hope to offer them as a bundle option soon.

1. config.zip
    Profile photo of Dave C.Dave C.
    #18198 |

So the SBase is a clone of Smoothieboard? Looks like a decent upgrade from the RAMPS. I plan on upgrading one of my 3D printers from RAMPS to a Smoothieboard at some point.

Profile photo of vicious1vicious1
    #18203 |

Not really a clone they made some changes. I think mostly for the better, but they did take off the extra power port and made the single a better connection.

I wouldn’t really call it an upgrade, looks like all the math based motion is actually a little behind marlin. Only better if you have a fast delta and need faster calculations. Other than that there is not much difference except the price.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.