Setting Bounaries / Adding Limit Switches

New Home Forum Hardware Setting Bounaries / Adding Limit Switches

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PJM PJM 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kyle Wolfe
    Kyle Wolfe
    Participant

I am excited to say that I have my MPCNC up and running!
    I am trying to figure out how to keep the middle assembly from smashing into the sides of the machine- I am assuming this can only realy be done using limit switches for X/Y min/max, like on my 3D printer.
    I have plenty of simple limit switches laying around the shop, but I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to hook them up to the RAMPS board to tell the motor to stop. If anyone has some guidance on this (pictures are always helpful!) that would be fantastic. I may have missed a write up about this- if so, I would love to see it!
    Thanks a lot!

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

It’s fairly simple. Just wire the switches in the normally open configuration, and connect them to the end stop connections on the board. I have a post around here somewhere showing off my z touch plate, it shows where to plug them in.

Profile photo of PJM
    PJM
    Participant

@Barry , I’ve looked for the specifics on how to wire a z touch plate and can find lots of discussion but no directions on how to wire it up to the RAMPS 1.4. Can you point me in the right direction ?

Profile photo of Kyle Wolfe
    Kyle Wolfe
    Participant

Was just about to ask the same question about the Z touch plate!
    Thanks Barry, I figured it out easily enough. Only issue I’m having is that my switches are in the usually on setting. Is there some firmware change I have to make in order to reverse this? (When switch is not depressed, circuit is closed and end stop reads triggered).

Profile photo of PJM
    PJM
    Participant

Ya, that’s in the configuration.h file (use Arduino to edit it). You’ll find a section with z_limit (or z_endstop, can’t remember)… set to true or false right along side the limit switch settings for x and y. Just change the value, save, compile and upload.

So I presume we are using the zmin end stop pins then and not aux 4?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.