Stainless Steel – Quick and dirty flex test

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC Stainless Steel – Quick and dirty flex test

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of autox3d autox3d 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

I bought some 1″ OD stainless Steel this week, and the flex difference is pretty obvious. I didn’t setup the dial indicator but took some quick pictures.

I had 6′ lengths of tubing supported on both ends and hung a 10lb weight form the center point. I took a picture from as level as I could get to illustrate the flex.
    The standard EMT that we/I have been using was a bit more rigid than the .0185″ stainless curtain rod (too weak the bearings left a groove on the first pass).

The 316l stainless did better what I tested what was sold as .049″ and .083″ wall thickness. The .049″ is much better than the EMT but really close to the .080″ and about $10 cheaper per 6′.

I would recommend .050″ if you want to upgrade your machine and have some money to spend.

Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Where do you find stuff like that?

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

I found some at a hardware store (shower curtain rod), amazon, and a local supplier.

Profile photo of Benjamin Shaw
    Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

I’m strongly considering ordering some of this unless I just go with regular emt.

Profile photo of Sergey Kovalyov
    Sergey Kovalyov
    Participant

I’d like to point out that, for some reason, 0.065″ wall thickness 304 stainless steel tubes are about half the price of 0.050″ ones, at least at speedymetals.com (http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8276-round-tube.aspx?thickness=1). They seem to be the lowest price I could find – a quarter per inch or like $10 for 4′. 0.050″ on the other hand is $0.48 per inch, $19 for 4′.
    I ordered custom cuts from them as I’m building an odd size 27″ x 40″ (to match a space under my desk where my MPCNC would have to be stored between uses). A bit more expensive than buying whole-feet size but beats having to invest in a tube-cutting tool and cut yourself.
    Shipping was $20 though.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

1″ or 1.05″ OD SS Tubing Is 3/4 ID If i’m not mistaken… a quick search on amazon also confirmed that and really 1″ OD was 3/4 ID.. but this 316L stuff is $100 for a 3 footer……. that’s crazy expensive… any chance anyone’s used 304? I cannot get 316L locally and people want crazy money for it.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Uhh, if it’s 1″ OD and 3/4″ ID, then it’s 1/4″ thick wall! It’s crazy expensive because it’s crazy thick!

Profile photo of Walter
    Walter
    Participant

wuddn’t that be 1/8″ wall thickness barry?

1/8″+1/8″ =1/4″
    1″- 1/4″ = 3/4″

ur forgetting that its tubing so you would split the difference in half to find the wall thickness

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

I just ordered some 304. When it gets here, ill do the a test and provide some pictures. I don’t have any 316l to compare it to, but maybe this info will help.

Thanks,
    John

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

@Walt, yea, you’re right! I ain’t got no good math, or english! 😉

What are you thoughts on tweaking the files and running 3/4 Gas Pipe or Rigid Conduit, both are 1.050″ Diameter. Should be a lot stronger than EMT and still reasonably priced (about $10/10 ft stick at any Menards/home depot). Or does the extra weight start to become an issue?

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Yea, now you’re throwing around a lot of extra weight.

Profile photo of Walter
    Walter
    Participant

Plus all that extra weight actually makes the pipe more prone to sagging not less. what you want is added stability not added weight. while stainless is slightly more heavy than zinc plated, dots extremely more rigid along its span. there’s always going to be a trade off.

Profile photo of autox3d
    autox3d
    Participant

my local source 1.5mm wall 304 stainless is really cheap. around 30 bucks for 6 meters.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.