Home / Forum / Hardware / Stainless Steel – Quick and dirty flex test

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of vicious1vicious1
    #14560 |

I bought some 1″ OD stainless Steel this week, and the flex difference is pretty obvious. I didn’t setup the dial indicator but took some quick pictures.

I had 6′ lengths of tubing supported on both ends and hung a 10lb weight form the center point. I took a picture from as level as I could get to illustrate the flex.
    The standard EMT that we/I have been using was a bit more rigid than the .0185″ stainless curtain rod (too weak the bearings left a groove on the first pass).

The 316l stainless did better what I tested what was sold as .049″ and .083″ wall thickness. The .049″ is much better than the EMT but really close to the .080″ and about $10 cheaper per 6′.

I would recommend .050″ if you want to upgrade your machine and have some money to spend.

Profile photo of JeffJeff
    #14635 |

Where do you find stuff like that?

Profile photo of vicious1vicious1
    #14641 |

I found some at a hardware store (shower curtain rod), amazon, and a local supplier.

Profile photo of Benjamin ShawBenjamin Shaw
    #14642 |

I’m strongly considering ordering some of this unless I just go with regular emt.

Profile photo of Sergey KovalyovSergey Kovalyov
    #16501 |

I’d like to point out that, for some reason, 0.065″ wall thickness 304 stainless steel tubes are about half the price of 0.050″ ones, at least at speedymetals.com (http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8276-round-tube.aspx?thickness=1). They seem to be the lowest price I could find – a quarter per inch or like $10 for 4′. 0.050″ on the other hand is $0.48 per inch, $19 for 4′.
    I ordered custom cuts from them as I’m building an odd size 27″ x 40″ (to match a space under my desk where my MPCNC would have to be stored between uses). A bit more expensive than buying whole-feet size but beats having to invest in a tube-cutting tool and cut yourself.
    Shipping was $20 though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.