Reply To: Question about GRBL's Homing function and strange Z Axis stepper behavior

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Question about GRBL's Homing function and strange Z Axis stepper behavior Reply To: Question about GRBL's Homing function and strange Z Axis stepper behavior

Burt
Participant

OK, I figured it out. One of those Duh! moments. I hadn’t looked at the docs for the micro stepping in a LONG time so I made the assumption that no jumpers was Full step. Of course it was Sixteenth Step.

What I’ve found so far is that I do Quarter step and run everything at 500 mm/minute.

I couldn’t do any better than about 120 – 170 mm / minute on Z with Sixteenth micro step on the UNO.

So I’ll do some more testing but I may have to wait for my RAMPS board and integrate that with my Mega to nudge the processing speed up a notch, but for now it’s working better for testing and I’ll dial in the configuration a bit more while waiting for the last Better Middle-Z part to finish printing.

Sorry for the oops on the micro-stepping, I guess what really amazed me was that the X and Y appeared to be working OK (but maybe they were missing some steps that weren’t obvious.

In any case I’ve cranked the seek speeds up to 500 mm/min which seems to be a pretty safe value for right now.

Burt