Reply To: Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

New Home Forum Software Development Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC Reply To: Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

Leo69
Participant

First of all, I’m impressed by the power of your laser to burn an image that dark at such a high speed and 50% power! I think it’s time for an upgrade:)

What is the purpose of the G1 and G0 commands to fire the laser? I think this is the problem. Image2gcode controls the laser strictly through the ‘S’ values and will use a value S=0 if the laser needs to be off so your G0 and G1 controls just complicate the gcode and add bloat. If you wrote this modified firmware then I’d suggest changing it so the laser is only controlled by the ‘S’ value and ignore the G0 and G1 for laser control. If you’re really into modifying the code then a better revision with a laser as powerful as yours would be to use 12-bit or even 10-bit PWM for the laser. The 8-bit isn’t cutting it for you. An eight bit analogWrite only allows values from 0-255 which match the grayscale levels in your image but when you run at 50% power the grayscales will be interpolated to 50% as well. This means you’ll lose half of your grayscale levels in the image. I modified my Marlin firmware for 12-bit PWM resolution but I’m not using it anymore and can’t seem to find the code. I’ll take another look when I get time.