Reply To: Ordering 1" Steel tubing but have a question on type and thickness of material

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Ordering 1" Steel tubing but have a question on type and thickness of material Reply To: Ordering 1" Steel tubing but have a question on type and thickness of material

Ryan
Keymaster

That is a tough one. I don’t really know the limits and they are a bit different with every build.

I can say Lack of power has never even been close to an issue with the dewalt 660 for me. Most of us dial it down and run it at half speed with a speed controller which I am pretty sure is less than half power if I understand DC motors at all.

You are right though there are limits. Smaller spindle equal faster accelerations and higher accuracy. It’s like strapping a rocket booster on to a car driving in a neighborhood, tons of power for no good reason. The limit of this machine is rigidity Meaning if you want to strap on a giant spindle you should be making a tiny machine, not the other way around. You are right though there are limits. Smaller spindle equal faster accelerations and higher accuracy.

I know the information is pretty scattered in the forums now but If the goal is to mill full sheets of wood a different router would be nice, but that also usually means less accuracy from more runnout(runnout isn’t a big deal on large routers because of the way they are typically used). Most people milling full sheets can accept a lot less precision because it is wood. Wood tolerances are very loose, due to the nature of expansion and contraction. Lots of requests for half and full sheet solutions but I don’t want to make one unless I can come up with something that doesn’t require a 5’x9′ table to be permanently set up. There are other machines that achieve this very well, but are expensive. I could easily make a really inexpensive knock off but that’s not really what I would like to be known for. If I come up with something unique I will make it ASAP.

Sorry lots of coffee and lots of ideas…