Reply To: Jeffeb3 MP3DP Build

#25494

Jeffeb3
Participant

I spent some time mounting an inductive sensor and getting marlin to work with it. I mostly followed this video, although the Marlin firmware has changed a bit:

I remixed a mount, my file is here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2007711

The sensor was from amazon, and it was pretty cheap. I had fun doing it, and I hope it will pay off in fewer levelings in the future, or more useable area on the printer, but as I said in the other thread, at the end of the day, I did it because it was fun, and that’s part of why I started this project.

Video of the tramming procedure (I know, not another one). This was just after I got the procedure working, and I set the basic offset based on my trusty piece of paper. Right after this print, I spent some time adjusting it better, based on how it was actually printing, and I adjusted the Z offset in the EEPROM settings:

https://goo.gl/photos/x5FFCe9zD89McF3GA

Picture of a successful calibration print:

It’s still not perfect though. There is a discernable difference in the height in the different corners, even close to where the sensor measured. The rear left seems to be a constant problem, so I wonder if there is some kind of interference causing a slightly different distance back there. Overall, I’d say it’s better than I can do with my manual leveling, but just don’t expect a silver bullet. IMHO, it’s better at leveling the bed than I am.

I am really hoping that I don’t have to touch the leveling settings for another 3 months. If that happens, then I will call it a huge success.