Reply To: Evan's Build

Profile photo of Evan
Evan
Participant

I went AWOL for a while but I’m back with some progress!!

I added Camar0’s rigid Z mod which seemed to help things out a bit. With that and shimming my spoil board up with 2×4’s I’m cutting MDF with a .25″ bit at 1000mm/min with 3mm DOC and everything sounds good.

I made my first cuts in aluminum tonight! I was scared but everything went very well. Cut settings in the video description. Looking forward to doing something functional with it tomorrow and maybe trying some metal engraving. I like working with aluminum, the chips are heavy enough to not ruin the air quality in my apartment.
first aluminum cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57SmUR-QEWA

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting the spindle perfectly square with the spoil board? Mine is definitely off a bit- facing my spoil board resulted in a bunch of small ridges and the bottom of my aluminum test pocket could certainly look better.

One more thing- all my cuts are a tiny bit small. My 20mm aluminum pocket was 19.7mm and my spoil board slots were a bit small as well, I had to file down the nuts. Weird because I did a single slot a while ago and the nuts drop in perfectly.