Aluminum Mounts.

New Home Forum Updates Aluminum Mounts.

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 51 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  nerdyrcdriver 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

This was a thickness test piece.
    Anyone interested in some waterjet motor mounts? I think I will be placing a large order. These take out the flex that the plastic mounts have, and add a little to the cooling of the motor, and they look good.

DXF

Ryan
    Keymaster

nice.

chevydan6
    Participant

What is the thickness your planning for it? I would be interested if it was cut from steel.

Ryan
    Keymaster

This was .085″ and it is better than my 70% infill pla printed mounts. I will be placing an order for the next size up in thickness.

I’m not using steel because I do not want to have to paint them or worry about corrosion.

tmelvin
    Participant

I may be depending on cost and time frame.
    I am was too excited to finish this thing to wait for too long

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah this is probably a few weeks out, if I can get a good price.

Curt
    Participant

I am in if they are priced right. Based on the cost of the kit and everything else you do I assume the price will be spot on.

innkeeper
    Participant

i’m in if the price is reasonable.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well its been 2 weeks, I am getting the feeling that 400 of them was too small of a job for them. I’ll send out the quote again to another company. First one I got back wanted $6 each piece, No thank you.

chevydan6
    Participant

Make a Water jet Addon!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

What I would give for a waterjet! High pressure pump design *might* be above my pay grade…

chevydan6
    Participant

just get one of those harbor freight electric powered pressure washers! Then mount it on the mpcnc and BAM instant water jet!

bozpet
    Participant

Can you provide the DXF used to make the cut?

Best Regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

linked in the original post

bozpet
    Participant

Thanks 😉

I tried o cut some aluminum, and broken my 2 flute 1.5mm end mill…. need to order another end mill..

When tring to cut, the spindle sometimes start to shake… im using a 400w spindle. Any ideia what is causing this?

Some photos and a video of my CNC

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9jjhxc4xkatj0k2/AACIX24cmedIDaMhLd6SCC62a?dl=0

Best Regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

Aluminum is at the upper end of what this machine can do. So you really need to have things dialed in for it to work well. Since I didn’t see it happen it is hard to say what went wrong. Here are some things to try.

If you are using this primarily for milling thin flat material you should make this much shorter. You should also try and get your tool further into your spindle. In the video you sent that material should have been able to be cut in 1 pass very quickly or 2 at the most. The closer you get the cutting end of the bit to the gantry the faster you should be able to cut because of increased rigidity. If you are using this for other things as well as cutting like I am, you should move the material to be cut much closer to the gantry. In that video I made I have a stack of wood under the aluminum. I actually made another and fit 1 more piece of wood under it and was able to cut it faster. Think of it this way, every time you cut the distance from the material to the gantry in half you should be able to cut 2 times faster.

You can move the spindle up in the z direction Ideally you want the bottom of the collet just lower than the bottom of the z tubes to increase rigidity.

You should cut down the z length. When your tool is hitting the work surface your z motor mount should be almost hitting the gantry. If you have more than this you are swinging the mass of the z stepper around unnecessarily.

The 1.5mm bit is very unforgiving even though it is removing less material you might want to get it working well with a 3mm bit first and then figure out how to slow it down for a 1.5mm bit.

You might want to try a lower depth of cut, that puts less torque on the machine. There is a limit though material does have to be removed or you will just work harden it and never cut it.

You can try a coolant as well if your feed rate or spindle speed is off you can actually work harden the aluminum and heat up the bit very fast. to cut without coolant you need to have your feeds and speeds dialed in.

did the spindle slow down when it hit the aluminum? 400W might not be enough power. I believe the dewalt I am using now is 600W, but in my first aluminum videos I was using a 400W flex shaft rotary, and it did fine.

bozpet
    Participant

Thanks for all the hints 😉 I will cut the z-axis and try again.

Jeremy
    Participant

[email protected] gave me a deal on a few parts for a 3D printer modification. They are in Ontario, California. Turn around time was next day. But I only needed 4 parts.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks, I will definitely try and get a quote from them thank you!

Mitch
    Participant

I have a company here that i have laser cut alot of small stuff for me. I have to go there to check on machining some turbo stuff this coming friday. Would you like me to ask for a quote with an .STL file dropped off.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry for the slow response, If you end up going back there I would love a quote. Most places don’t laser cut aluminum though. Usually water jet, sometimes milled. This Christmas season has been so busy I have not had a chance to get any new quotes.

The DXF is linked in the first post.

Mitch
    Participant

Will do. The shop i go to has laser cut a bunch of aluminum IAC block offs for me. They will not laser stainless. I will ask them, its usually pretty cheap.

If you see this today could you give me largest dimensions for this piece. i am at work at the moment and our CAD system is set for .ARD files so i cannot open this here. I just need to know length and width. Gonna price it for 1/8″ or .125

Tomi Hautala
    Participant

i Lasecutted motor mounts from 4mm acrylic, 2x plates are much more stronger than printed so ill need 8mm acrylic.
    next week ill check my local hardware stores if they have it then ill cut new plates.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cut some out of aluminum, I used .085″ and it works really well. It is much more rigid than the printed ones and the stepper that it is on is much cooler than the others.

Tomi Hautala
    Participant

ill cut those aluminium ones once i get the machine up and running, ill use those acrylic mounts untill i can cut tho out of aluminium.
    Only thing is that aluminium plate costs alot where i live so it might take a while.

jimmystanley37
    Participant

Any word on these water jet quotes? Any word on us DIY’ers having success with milling our own. I got a decent handle on this beast with 3d printing and am setting it up to mill next.

Ryan
    Keymaster

No good quotes yet. If I can catch up and get a little ahead on printed parts I will just mill them myself to sell.

You do have a mill, it would be a good thing to use it for. Just remember to keep the aluminum very close to the gantry and go slow. Go a bit slower than my vid.

Ulli
    Participant

What speed (rpm) did your spindle run at? The power of the spindle sounds more than enough, but most of these motors originally aimed at the woodworker market are too slow to move such a tiny bit through aluminium. A minimum of 15,000, netter 20,000 rpm is necessary. The speed of the cutting edge biting into the material to be cut away is significant. So, a larger mill diameter may be helpful for you.

Above that, did you remove the chippings? They can build up a real wall and get compressed, leading to broken tools. Compressed air and / or a good vacuum cleaner are a must!

Don’t use coolants for VHM tools – they get micro fissures and will crack VHM may get very hot without problems.

jimmystanley37
    Participant

where do you source your aluminum, online or local?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I got it locally but am not happy with their prices or selection. So I might start looking online.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.