Bit / End Mill Recommendations

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Bit / End Mill Recommendations

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nusatsum nusatsum 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nusatsum
    nusatsum
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am new to CNC routing. I’ve got a Dewalt DW660 on order and would like to select some milling bits. I am familiar with drillman1’s (on ebay) inventory and would like to purchase from him. Initially I am interested in cutting plywood up to 3/4″ (which would require multiple passes correct?).

What type of a bit should I get? Do they wear out fast … in other words should I order a few?

Do you recommend any other bits for a person just getting started?

Thanks!

nusatsum
    Participant

As an example, drillman1 one sells 1/8″ carbide 2 flute end mills like in the photo I have attached.

Is this a good choice for cutting plywood?

Attachments:
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Yes that is the one I use.

Profile photo of Richard Rouse
    Richard Rouse
    Participant

End mill life depends on several things..generally speaking the more aggressive cuts you take will stress the blade and we at it down faster.. I usually tell my students not to take more than 25% of the diameter of the bit at a time no matter the material.

I have yet to make any cuts with my mpcnc, but I do have a denford mill in my classroom. 1/8″ end Mills usually get about 30-50 hours of use… but we mill everything from aluminum to acrylic.

nusatsum
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that Richard. Good info and appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.