Bits to Buy

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Benjamin 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Benjamin
    Participant

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could advise me in what bits to buy? I am currently planning to work with wood and acrylic. Right now, smoothing and engraving wood is the most important thing. Acrylic is currently just something I want to experiment with. I have browsed through the selection of bits from this site, but I am curious which bits and such are key for most jobs.

Such as roughing and getting fine details. Do I just need maybe 5 different types of bits, more, or less. I don’t want to be limited, but I also don’t want to spend more than I need to for now.

At some point, I may try aluminum, but that is a ways down the road. Any bit of advice would be welcome for any bits that I need to buy. Thank you for your time and advice, I hope that you have a great day! 🙂

Barry
    Participant

All mine are 2 flute downcut. I have 1/16″ flat and ball. 1/8″ flat and ball. 1/4″ flat. A really expensive engraving bit that I broke the tip off of in less than 20 seconds. And a resurfacing bit that I haven’t used yet. I’ve also tried a V bit for a standard handheld router. With these I’ve cut plywood, mdf, acrylic, and aluminum.

Dalton Porter
    Participant

Do you guys use all the same shank size? like 1/4″ shank with 1/16 bit? or do you swap the collets?

Barry
    Participant

I swap collets. I have a quarter inch and eighth inch. The sixteenth is on eighth inch shank.

Vincent Pollaro
    Participant

I have some from here and some from the seller drillman1 on eBay, whom I would recommend for a nice variety and good prices. The bits I use most commonly are the 1/4″ and 1/8″ 2-flute flat end mills. I also have 1/8″ 30 and 45 degree v-bits, which are great for carving and detail work. The best buy I made was a 50-piece carbide end mill machining kit from the eBay seller for $39 (used, but all bits are still nice and sharp). Goes down to 1/32″, which I actually found very useful for cutting densely packed parts out of thin stock that my 2.8w laser cannot get through.

Benjamin
    Participant

I apologize for not responding sooner, life got hectic. Thank you so much for your replies. This is a lot of great info. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.