Cant print from SD card

This topic contains 28 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vicious1 vicious1 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Augusto
    Augusto
    Participant

Hi guys. Looking for some help.

I installed the smart display and been trying to print from the sd card but doesn’t like it

Changed the file extension to gcode. Anything else that needs to be done? When running the program reads it and does nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Profile photo of Augusto
    Augusto
    Participant

Need to clarify. Tried to mill and changed the nc file extension to gcode.

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Can you see the files on the card, if not what size is your SD card?

Profile photo of Augusto
    Augusto
    Participant

Yes, with gcode extension. Nc cannot see

Profile photo of Augusto
    Augusto
    Participant

4gb card

vicious1
    Keymaster

You can rename your files whatever you want. There is a setting in estlcam to change the extension of the saved file. Nice and easy.

Profile photo of Augusto
    Augusto
    Participant

But haven’t answered if there is anything else that need to be done besides changing file extension.

Profile photo of Matt saeger
    Matt saeger
    Participant

I just needed to change the extension to .g

Profile photo of Augusto
    Augusto
    Participant

Thanks. I might have a bad card, happened before.

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

My SD card is not recognized either. I can only 3d print with my laptop tethered to the RAMPs with my Short USB cable

vicious1
    Keymaster

Is your card formatted with fat32?

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

Yes it is 16gig FAT32. It works fine in my other 3d printer in it’s smart controller.

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

I like your design and engineering on the MPCNC. I ordered your hardware and electronics and printed my own parts. I’m overall quite pleased, so my hat’s off to you. I just cant get the darn SD reader to work so I can free up my laptop. I’m stumped. I’m hoping it’s something simple I can fix.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Since you have 2 screens switch one of them so you can verify where the problem is. Its either in the screen or somewhere else, but if you cam narrow it down a bit we can find the issue quicker. I’ll be in and out all day, building some shelves in my garage so I should be able to help every so often.

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

Okay so I finally got some time to mess with this and I uploaded the firmware for the discount smart controller from your website and used the other LCD (the little one) and it works and recognizes the SD card. So the large LCD one seems to be the issue.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Everything else on the screen worked, just didn’t read files(on the large one)?

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

Yes everything else worked.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Check all the solder joint around the card reader there are only 11 or 12. If you got it from me you can send it back in.

vicious1
    Keymaster

You kept the same connector and wires right, to make sure the issue is in the lcd screen board and nowhere else when you did the test swap?

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

Yes I kept the same wiring and all that. And yesI got everything from you except the EMT and printed parts. I’ll check the solder joints…

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

I appreciate that but idk if it’s worth the shipping to send it back to California from Florida.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Those last two pins look suspect, if you can solder hit them real quick if not no problem. If you send it flat rate small box it’s $6 If I sent you a bad one I’ll reimburse you for your shipping.

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

Okay Yea after looking close at the picture I agree. I give it a go with the solder Iron when I get a little time and I keep you posted.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

I’ve noticed on some of mine that sd only works if the card is inserted BEFORE power is applied to the ramps/mega. Others let me hot swap auth no problems. Minor inconvenience so never bothered troubleshooting.

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

It turned out after re-soldering the last two pins I now have a functional SD card reader. Good call.and good info for anyone else having SD card issues.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Sorry for the hassle, thanks for fixin it!

Profile photo of Scott B
    Scott B
    Participant

No worries. One can’t expect a project like this to be perfect. It was a learning experience. I’m trying to post a photo from my phone but the file size is too big. Anyways I appreciate your fast response and insight. I think you are doing pretty good for seemingly one guy. I have no complaints your mpcnc works perfectly.

Profile photo of James Donnelly
    James Donnelly
    Participant

Sorry to hijack, but question for Ryan.

On the smart display, what is the value of the resistor that you retrofitted?

I have had one of these for a while, and have just put up with the barely readable display, so I think I have the problem you solved.

vicious1
    Keymaster

I don’t think the value actually matters too much, Pretty sure it was about 100k pictures are still up of it on the shop page for the screen. It just needs to be more than what it is.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.