Canuck MP3DP

This topic contains 77 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Ralph
    Participant

Just noticed that I have something weird going on when printing a P38 wing piece from 3dLabs. The CG (center of gravity) letters on wing surface has ghosting on that section of the wing (see first pic). Could this be a belt rubbing on the x axis? The rest of the wing surface as well as the internal rib structure looks good to me.

IMG_1076

Barry
    Participant

Nope, that’s called ringing.  It happens when you’re printing too fast.  Usually not a big deal.  It happens because the print head is “swinging” from the small quick axis changes.

Ralph
    Participant

My P-38……

That is so cool I love flying drones but I think this will be so much better!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

DAM that is nice looking. Keeping it as a trophy or do you actually plane on risking it to the sky?

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Very nice.

Barry
    Participant

Needs a little Wonder Woman for the cockpit!

Ralph
    Participant
    DAM that is nice looking. Keeping it as a trophy or do you actually plane on risking it to the sky?

Nah, it’s going in to sky……..PLA is cheap and the electronics/hardware will be salvageable after the first maiden crash! 🙂  I just need to speed up printing or build another MP3DP cause this took a loooong time to print

p38Crash2

Attachments:

Ralph
    Participant
    Needs a little Wonder Woman for the cockpit!

anyone have the gcode or stl for one?

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    the electronics/hardware will be salvageable after the first maiden crash

If you can find the invisible plane…

Ralph
    Participant
    the electronics/hardware will be salvageable after the first maiden crash

If you can find the invisible plane…

i’ll just look for the smoke

Ryan
    Keymaster

Too Funny.

Now I really can’t wait to see that thing fully outfitted!

Ralph
    Participant

Help! So I’ve been printing almost every day since late July with my MP3DP with no issues other than fine tuning (which has not been done for at least the last month) and now I’m having under extrusion issues. I was 4 hours into a 6 hour print and the extruder stepper started to click and skip steps (I’m using the Titan Aero ).  I done the following and still am having problem.

1. Check for clogged or partially clogged HE. I don’t think it clogged but I change the nozzle anyways. I can manually push filemant though with no issues.
    2. Disassembled the entire Aero unit thinking it might be an issue with gears and all looks fine.  Reassembled twice to make sure and am still getting the same results…prints fine for a while (well past an hour) and then under extrusion start to appear…the stepper starts to click is missing steps. Note that the gears are not slipping its the stepper that is skipping.
    3. Checked the driver, it’s not hot and the VREF is correct (0.63 for my stepper).
    4. Swapped out the driver with another one and same results.
    5. Changed to a different filament….same issues.
    6.  Checked wires and all looks fine.

The symptom that occurs every time since the issue started is…..it starts fine from a cold start (i.e. the extruders is cold and goes through the pre-heat cycle), the print starts and then sometime into the print the stepper starts to skip/miss steps.

I’ve order a new stepper and driver which should be here by end of day, that’s my next step.

Anyone have any Ideas? Here is the first print that the issue showed up on…looks perfect up until the stepper start to skip.

IMG_1102
    IMG_1100

Ryan
    Keymaster

What filament, what temps, what speed?

Is the heat sink fan running?

Is the extruder stepper hot after at an hour or so of printing?

To me it looks  like you have a temperature issue, since you don’t have a clog, any of the above questions can cause it.

Ralph
    Participant
    What filament, what temps, what speed? Is the heat sink fan running? Is the extruder stepper hot after at an hour or so of printing? To me it looks like you have a temperature issue, since you don’t have a clog, any of the above questions can cause it.

Sorry should have mentioned that as well…

1. PLA
    2. Speed is 40 outer perimeters 60% (been printing for a while at this speed)
    3. I’ve been printing at 210C. The temperature is constant, no runaways. Checked that the heater and thermister are secure.
    4. Stepper and drivers are not hot at all. I have two cooling fans in my case.
    5. Heat sink Fan is running constantly and sounds fine.
    6. No cooling fan running for this print as specified by the designer of the STLs.

Ryan
    Keymaster

My best guess. Since you are running the PLA at really high temps (Usually 195-200) and your print is mostly outer perimeters and you have the speed low (outers are usually 90-95%) you are getting heat creep up the pla itself that will bulge and stick in the throat.

Try lowering the extruder temp 5° and increasing the outer speeds to at least 85% if not 90-95%.

Ralph
    Participant
    My best guess. Since you are running the PLA at really high temps (Usually 195-200) and your print is mostly outer perimeters and you have the speed low (outers are usually 90-95%) you are getting heat creep up the pla itself that will bulge and stick in the throat. Try lowering the extruder temp 5° and increasing the outer speeds to at least 85% if not 90-95%.

I will give it a try,later tonight….what i don’t understand is why now. I printed the p-38 with high temps (recommend by the designer for better adhesion…actually he recommends 230 for PLA which i know is ridiculously  high). I’m printing the Cessna now and it fails after printing about 70 percent of the plane parts.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Maybe the room the printer is in is just a tad warmer. Slightly different batch of PLA, or something very minor like that. All metal hot ends are trickier with PLA I think the speed is your issue, 24mm/s is really slow for that long. Get that up to about 30 and you should be fine.

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.