Chinese 5mW red line laser – driver/heatsink?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC Chinese 5mW red line laser – driver/heatsink?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Leo69 Leo69 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike Cunningham
    Mike Cunningham
    Participant

I bought 2 of these, to use as a crosshair, primarily for my 2.8w laser; but they won’t be here for ~2 months…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281725342189

Do these have a built-in driver/current limiter; or do I need to get those aswell? I am assuming that because they cost ~20 times what a regular 5mW diode costs, they would have a driver in them; but I am seeing a lot of different opinions on different pages… some people use external drivers, some don’t…

Also, a 5mW laser should not produce enough heat to warrant a heatsink, would it?

V/r,
    Mike

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

I see the 5v source voltage is listed but What’s the input current? I’m guessing approximately 40-50ma. If so, no driver should be needed.you can connect directly to an unused digital pin on Ramps board and switch/power the diode through a marlin m42 command.

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

5mw is standard issue dollar store laser pointer.no heat sinking should be required. The module housing is plenty.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.