Closed Loop Motor Control

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Fred D PInczuk Fred D PInczuk 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JDGreen
    JDGreen
    Participant

I have been looking for an easy way to automatically correct for missed stepper motor steps (especially on my 3D printer).
    I ran across this neat solution that is on Kickstarter right now.

It looks like it will be an improvement for the MPCNC, 3D Printer or other application using stepper motors for precision position control.

I do realize that there are other factors which are probably the root cause of skipping steps…but in the mean time, if this device allows for them to be corrected in a unattended manner, I think it would be worth a try.

What are your thoughts?

http://kck.st/29aCxKs

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

That price is tough to swallow for smaller applications like this, maybe for a larger machine.

https://youtu.be/uphXy3URQ6g
    This is more my speed, Diy till I die…..(unless its cheaper to buy it pre-built)

Profile photo of Leo69
    Leo69
    Participant

I’ve never seen this missed step scenario. I think it’s a pretty rare thing with a properly tuned stepper driver and motor that are running within rated limits right? My steppers barely get warm even after a 12 hour print job.

I personally would look into those root causes you mentioned. Mechanical binding, overdriven motors, bad wiring connections. If one of these issues is causing missed steps then it wouldn’t be a good idea to compensate for it with closed loop.Something WILL break eventually.

Profile photo of Fred D PInczuk
    Fred D PInczuk
    Participant

Its coming, and cheaper and more affordable.

I can’t wait to see the integration, unfortunately missed the kickstarter deadline.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.