Computer not comunicating

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Computer not comunicating

This topic contains 75 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Avery
    Participant

I have everything wired and the ramps flashed with the Arduino and I can power it up and connect to it just fine although when I try to send a command to the MPCNC it doesn’t. I have installed Repetier Host and when I first connect the MPCNC and push the connect button in the Manual Control tab it will say Idle then when I try to send a command to the MPCNC it will just say “1 command waiting” or how many commands I have given it and hasn’t worked. Does anyone know why this is happening and knows how to fix it?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Mac or pc?
    Did you buy it from here?
    What did you flash?
    Ramps or rambo?

Avery
    Participant

PC

I did not buy it from here but the same exact thing from amazon

Flashed the MPCNC511_GLCD_EB

Ramps

Peter A Mills
    Participant

If it’s connecting but not moving, maybe your RAMPS board isn’t getting power so it can’t execute the command.

Avery
    Participant

How would I fix that problem then? On my ramps board I have 12 volts going to it.

Bradley F
    Participant

Can you post some pics of your ramps board (and the rest of your setup)?

Do you have a screen attached to your mpcnc?
    if so:
    Do the motors move when you tell it to move them?
    Have you tried printing from SD?

Avery
    Participant

I do have a LCD screen connected to my RAMPS board. The motors do not move when I tell them to. Also as of right now I don’t have my MPCNC finished so my electronics are not on the MPCNC they are just laid out in my living room how they are going to be when I mount them on to my MPCNC. So I loaded a model into Repetier Host and tried to “print” just to see if the motors moved and it for some reason could not start printing. When I try to print from an SD card it says “Heating failed PRINTER HALTED Please reset”. I also found out that when I plug my RAMPS board into the wall outlet and don’t plug the Arduino into the computer that the LCD screen will not light up. Although when I add a short jumper wire to power both sides of the plug the LCD screen lights up all white and starts producing a squealing sound and I believe the RAMPS board starts smoking and I think it is getting to much power. When I plug the ardunio into my computer the LCD screen acts perfectly normal. Here are some picture of my RAMPS board, extruder, and motors. I haven’t plugged in the always on fan or the print fan yet because I am going to need to extend those wires.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You have to have power to the other side of the green plug, the side you have is just for the three d8-d10 port, you will need that as well but that power supply won’t cut it for a heated bed.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The error you are getting might be because of the negative bed temp showing. Either comment it out in the firmware, or plug in a thermistor to T1.

Avery
    Participant

I actually am not planning on using a heated bed do I still need to have power on both sides? Also I have a thermistor in T0 for the extruder I am guessing a thermistor in T1 is for the bed so should I just put a 100k Ohm resistor in T1?

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you change the bed thermistor value to 0 in the firmware config file no therm needed.

yes you still need power to both sides.

It really is best if you start with the regular firmware and the getting started guide, plotting a picture. Lots of things to test when you buy from your own sources. Best not to dive into the deep end with printing.

Avery
    Participant

Just to make sure I am changing the right thing do I need to change this line of code

60 : 100k Maker’s Tool Works Kapton Bed Thermistor beta=3950

Also about adding power to both sides it seams like it is giving it to much power even though I the power source with the link this website gave. Is this the correct way to wire the green plug?

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

How to power your ramps.

Ramps Stack

No this is the line,

sdfg

I strongly urge you to try it with a pen first.

Software

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

How to power your ramps.

Ramps Stack

No this is the line,

sdfg-1

I strongly urge you to try it with a pen first.

Software

Attachments:

Avery
    Participant

Now I for some reason can’t upload the code I keep getting this error message

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
    An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Any ideas on how to fix?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try just the arduino without the ramps on it.

Avery
    Participant

I have tried that but it does the same thing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Might be dead.

Avery
    Participant

What is weird is the lights on the board are blinking like they are supposed to.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Any progress?

The lights will usually come on, depending on the program that is on it. They don’t really indicate anything.

Vincent Pollaro
    Participant

The fact that you stated that “I believe the RAMPS board starts smoking” when you jumped some wires leads me to believe you may have fried the board. Would potentially explain the connection issues trying to flash.

Avery
    Participant

I have bought a new Arduino and uploaded the code and tried to move to motors and print. I have run into several problems. The first problem is when I move the motors they sound like they are moving but I can’t tell if they are moving or not. This could be so they are moving just not enough for me to notice. The second problem is when I try to print the extruder heats up and then it starts trying to print after round two seconds it just almost like pauses. My third problem is that I can’t connect to my computer. I plug it in and windows makes a sound like something is connected so but when I push connect on Repitiar Host it says “No port available for auto select! Please connect your computer first!” When I go in to select a port nothing comes up except for Auto. Could anyone help?

Avery
    Participant

An Update I am able to connect to the computer now although my other problems still exists.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Did you flash the new arduino with firmware?

Avery
    Participant

Yes I have. I also just noticed that the voltage of the motor drivers show -5 volts but even when I move the screw it will not change the voltage.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That can’t be right. I believe the range of the driver pots is 0-2.6V. Something is seriously wrong or you are probing in the wrong spot. The power negative and the trim pot itself?

Avery
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Those links are just for information as stated on the links page, I have not verified them in any way. They only way I know something works is if you buy it from me because I test them.

I use the trim pot itself and the negative from the green plug. If you use two pins from the driver on little slip and it is fried.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you want to use the driver itself you need to use the trim pot and the leg labeled “gnd” you are using a signal pin and might have popped the driver.

Avery
    Participant

The trim pot is the screw correct? And getting the negative from the green plug is safer you are saying?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.