Cutting Carbon fiber

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Cutting Carbon fiber

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

I am thinking about getting carbon fiber plate so that I can replace quad parts on the fly (no pun intended). I have a couple of questions:

1) if cutting with appropriate bits, do I need to seal the sides after cutting or does it come out pretty clean?

2) this is the big one: safety. I understand that the shredded CF is nasty stuff. How do you stay safe? I figure that I will wear a respirator and try to get it vacuumed up however, I know that there will be some residual stuff around. What precautions have you (you being anyone who has CNCed CF) taken?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I would assume its comes out clean. You can use water, even a squirt bottle and keep it very wet. easiest, safest way is to keep it just under water in a small container of some kind.

John
    Participant

I never thought about cutting underwater. Wouldn’t there be a risk of damaging me spindle though?

Ryan
    Keymaster

More at risk than usual but not by much. I have some water cutting videos up and there are tons of others.

What kind of bit are you supposed to use to cut Carbon fiber?
    Would a regular wood bit work?

Barry
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.