Desk lamp

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Desk lamp

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

Picked up the light from Ikea the other day when I was down towards Cinci.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1776160

Adding photos as I go.  Cutting with a 1/16″ end mill.  It was designed to be laser cut, had to move the knobs around so I’d have something for the tabs to actually connect to.  Will be interesting to see if it fits together well enough to use.  None of my local stores carry metric plywood.  Quarter inch is close-ish.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hlWkvDiU8x1pLsWI3

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I don’t think plywood manufacturers use imperial or metric :).

Looking good though.

Barry
    Participant
    I don’t think plywood manufacturers use imperial or metric :). Looking good though.

Good point.  They use the “that looks about right” method of measurment.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is gunna look sweet when it’s done, you’ve tried a few of there designs right?

Barry
    Participant

Yea, I cut out a couple of his trivets, and that basket that’s held together with paracord.  Dry fitting some of the parts and the holes are a little too wide, but I can work with that.  That’s why they make white gorilla glue.

SQLException
    Participant

Yeah Zenziwerken got alot of nice stuff. I wonder how often his free-for-non-commercial designs are violated license wise…

edit: just looked at the imprint, the guy running the site is right from my neighborhood. 😮

Pinhas Gold
    Participant

Barry, amazing project, just finished to cut material 6.5 mm) and assembled three little Desk lamps. Have you decided upon type of finish?

I used acrylic spray. See attached image:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

WHAT!! Those look so cool, you guys are making me jealous. I’m stuck on the phone trying to get kyocera to sell me bits for cheaper, and not getting dirty…

Barry
    Participant
    Barry, amazing project, just finished to cut material 6.5 mm) and assembled three little Desk lamps. Have you decided upon type of finish? I used acrylic spray. See attached image:

I saw your “I made this” on the webpage.  I think I’m going to go with clear acrylic.  I cut everything out of birch plywood.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I do like seeing the layers.

Barry
    Participant

Got the first layer sprayed on.  Used up what I had in the can.  Might just get a rattle can for the second coat if I need it.  I can’t keep water based stuff in the barn over winter, so I’m trying to use stuff up.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I bought that hvlp sprayer you suggested. I’ve only used it once. It used a ton of paint. It made quick work though. Not the best finish, but I’m sure I’m to blame.

Barry
    Participant

Yea, you have to play around with it to find the right settings for your paint.  Even though it can spray unthinned latex, I still thin it a tad bit.  Not as much as the directions though.  Unthinned you get almost a roller texture.  I’m still too chicken to spray oil based paint through it.  That crap is a pain to clean up.

Barry
    Participant

Ta-Daaaa!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What do you think? Do you like it?

Barry
    Participant

Yea, it’s pretty neat.  Need to stop by tractor supply and pick up a big washer.  Needs see weight on the bottom.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Cool!

Do you still have the cutouts? You’re at least halfway to having a concrete form for the base.

Barry
    Participant

I thought about getting a piece of lead flashing and cutting it out on the router.  I could use one of the base pieces dxf, but then thought better of it.  If brass can gum up an end mill, think of what lead would do!  We don’t have kids, and I’m pretty sure Shaneh won’t chew on the base, so wasn’t really worried about that aspect of it.  A big concrete base would look out of proportion, unless I scaled it up to use half inch plywood.

Pinhas Gold
    Participant
    I also encountered this dilemma and chose to apply a metal disk 3"
    diameter 1/8" thk which is epoxyed to a socket I routed in the
    base of the lamp. As in the attached picture.

Pinhas Gold
    Participant

oops, here is the picture:

Attachments:

Barry
    Participant

Used three 7/8th inch washers.  Seems to work okay.  Makes putting feet on kinda funky, but doesn’t want to tilt over.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.