Digital Machinist / MachineKit

New Home Forum Updates Digital Machinist / MachineKit

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas M 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I just found out There is an upcoming article in the summer edition of Digital Machinist http://www.digitalmachinist.net/, written by Thomas M. about MachineKit. He told me he is using the Mostly Printed CNC in the article. I am very excited to see it. Both the magazine and the software are new to me so I will update this post when I know more. Fingers crossed my little machine does well in this article!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Cool. Congratulations!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Editor just emailed, the magazines have just come off the press and he is mailing me a few copies….gotta send one to Mom right, what else will she show her friends.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh my goodness, I just got the magazine in the mail. There are absolutely no words for how I feel. I will post more info tomorrow but it is amazing to see it in print, and such nice words to go along with it.

Thomas M
    Participant

I hope you mom likes the article. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder. Where’s the more info? I hope your not letting modesty get in the way.

Ryan
    Keymaster

On the homepage I put 2 pages out of 9 of the amazing article.

Mom mom cried….she’s a softy and she hasn’t read it yet. She’s beyond proud.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Oops, missed it. Congratulations again.

dkj4linux
    Participant

That’s really impressive, Ryan… it seems all the more “big-time” seeing it all in real paper print. Read those first two pages and am now hanging on the cliff… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheapskate I am, I’ve already “ordered” my sample copy — which of course will NOT be the one issue of immediate interest — and I’m inexplicably “waffling” now on a one-year subscription… unsure it will begin with the Summer’17 issue. Why I do this I’ll never know… I can easily spend the equivalent on a good meal, a roll of filament, or a round of golf at the local goat-track… but I’ll hem and haw around for days trying to make up my mind on something like this. I just need to do it and be done with it. Can anybody relate?

=8^O

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    Can anybody relate?

+1!

I like to remember that recycling a magazine is easier than printing and subsequently throwing away 1kg of filament.

Even easier is the digital print version.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m at my local Barnes and Noble. They have digital machinist, but it’s the spring 2017 one not the summer 2017 one. Maybe the trial will be the right one. Or maybe they’ll get the summer version soon.

dkj4linux
    Participant

There! Got it out of my hair. Decided — after finding a fencepost that would listen to me [..thanks, Jeff ;)] — that they’d have to process my subscription sometime before the Fall’17 issue was out… so surely my subscription will start with the Summer’17 issue. Done.

I love it when I act so decisively.

Thomas M
    Participant

FWIW..
    I have it on pretty good authority that George Bulliss the editor of Digital Machinist, Machinist Workshop and the Home Shop Machinist, is going to be at Tormach Techdays handing out copies https://tormachtechdays.com/ on Aug 4-5 in Madison, Wi (In case Barnes and Noble is sold out and you’re in the vicinity of Madison)

This event sounds pretty cool and the Tormach folks are great people as well.

Bill
    Participant

OK, time for me to put an editor hat on… ๐Ÿ˜‰

“and and editor” should be “and an editor”
    “getting other started” should be “getting others started”

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks Bill, I squashed those bugs, brain farts, or whatever caused my lack of proofreading to manifest itself.

That’s awesome and well deserved, congratulations Ryan!

Barry
    Participant
    Iโ€™m at my local Barnes and Noble. They have digital machinist, but itโ€™s the spring 2017 one not the summer 2017 one. Maybe the trial will be the right one. Or maybe theyโ€™ll get the summer version soon.

Yea, it’s up to the vendors as to what magazines get put on the shelves at B&N. Hopefully they get it. I know they never got the issue of MagPi that had the free zero in it. Was really bummed out about that. Couldn’t find them for months. Now my local Microcenter has a 2 foot square bin full of them!

Barry
    Participant

Shaneh just picked it up for me! One of the other B&N in the area has it now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is so cool to hear, and an amazing feeling. It must be awesome for Thomas as well.

Dude, a real magazine, on a retail shelf, an article about the MPCNC…. Blows my mind.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Pretty crazy there has been no noticeable traffic/sales increase whatsoever from the article. I guess that is not my target market. My numbers have been strangely consistent for the last 5 months.

Bill
    Participant

It could easily be the demographic reached by the magazine is weighted heavily toward the commercial operator, and they are working with the big machines. Your demographic is more the hobbyist and really small scale commercial. It’d be much better to get into a magazine like Popular Mechanics or some such. Now if a couple of users here have relationships with writers or editors there…

Ryan
    Keymaster

PM would be crazy!

The ads in Digital Machinist are some hefty machines with price tags to match. One of the first things I looked at. Bummer, still proud to be a part of it none the less, and the machine kit stuff looks promising for individual stepper manipulation, squaring, homing.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m not sure these conclusions are well founded. For one thing, have the subscribers all gotten their copies? How many subs do they have? The machine kit project isn’t finished, maybe they are waiting for the conclusion.

I would guess that folks that use $100k machines at work would love to have something they can play with for $400. I work on $100k robots at work and I have a few cheap hobby platforms at home. There are a few machinists that have showed up on the forums.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Fingers crossed. I guess I was just expecting to see something dramatic. Most online articles show up as a extreme spike in traffic (Then I have to find where it is coming from) and then quickly settling back down to normal levels a little higher than before the article.

Thomas M
    Participant

Hey Ryan,
    Speaking only for myself, it usually takes me a while before I get a chance to read my magazine. Hopefully you get a bit of a spike.

I think there has been a slow shift in the Village Press (VP) magazines include 3d printing. MPCNC is a really nice project which combines the two. Interest in 3d printing is huge where subtractive machining is more of a niche that VP caters to. What’s cool about your project, is that it combines the two.

I recently displayed my MPCNC at the Workshop88 both at Southland, Mini-makerfaire in Mokena Il. I was absolute thrilled how well it performed with the T8 leadscrew. It was a nice shake down event.. I had it running for 8 hours straight and the only issues where operator related.;) I was running it as a Pen Plotter and printing out some images to give away.

The MPCNC showed well and many people seemed interested in it as well as Machinekit. I ran into a guy(who’s name escapes me) and his wife, who was building a MPCNC. He was having some lead screw issues. Hopefully he post here and says hi.

The people in the booth next to me, had a hands on project where kids put together a wooden tool box. If I go next, year it could be fun to get some collaboration where we engrave their name on the side of tool box.(I’ll probably need dust collection or do it outside)

I’m going to be bringing my MPCNC to the Milwaukee Makerfaire towards the end of September https://milwaukee.makerfaire.com/maker/entry/275/ There are going to be 50k people attending there… Yikes.

Hopefully, I can get my auto-homing/deracking using Machinekit worked out by then and get content for my next article for the winter edition of Digital Machinist.

Tom

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Thomas M.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmm that is the same weekend as the NY maker faire….wonder if I can hit two in two days …google flights…

This email was buried in my inbox. ย Instead of engraving it maybe a paint pen for the toolboxes? I still have not tried machinekit, Heffe has me wanting to learn to use Git and maybe even some python, that might force me back into some linux. Then I could have a look at it.

Thomas M
    Participant
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.