Does this count as a build?

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Does this count as a build?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 497 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 2 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 481 through 498 (of 498 total)
  • Author

karltinsly
    Participant

I have been working on my controller-based gcode sender. I’ve gotten it to read a file and print it to serial. I haven’t tried connecting the serial output to the grbl controller yet. Does anyone know if I’m going to need to slow down or otherwise regulate the stream of gcode coming from the sender? It’s dumping the data from the file as fast as it can (well, 9600 baud, anyway). Seems like it would overflow the buffer pretty quickly. I’ll try it tonight, just wondered if anyone had any insight.

Barry
    Participant

I’m thinking I’m going to steal the glass out of this one.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90128565/

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    I have been working on my controller-based gcode sender. I’ve gotten it to read a file and print it to serial. I haven’t tried connecting the serial output to the grbl controller yet. Does anyone know if I’m going to need to slow down or otherwise regulate the stream of gcode coming from the sender? It’s dumping the data from the file as fast as it can (well, 9600 baud, anyway). Seems like it would overflow the buffer pretty quickly. I’ll try it tonight, just wondered if anyone had any insight.

It will need to be throttled. I think it uses some sort of send/acknowledge to make sure the commands get there. I would try to find a simple gcode sender and see what they are doing.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Karl, you’re using grbl, right? There is also a way to get state by sending ? Or something. That might be useful for you to parse. It’s getting more complicated. Have you tried looking for an Arduino library that does gcode sending?

karltinsly
    Participant

Hi Jeff, thanks for the suggestion. I couldn’t find a gcode sending library, but I have found some articles about xon and xoff handshaking. Grbl sends an OK message after it receives each line, I think. Still researching.

Bill
    Participant

Dang, I don’t think I’ve had Ramen in 40 years… I’m more likely to drop a few bags with a pork chop, some thyme and butter in each into the sous vide pot in the morning and take one out each time I get hungry. 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

Bill your missing out, I just got a bag of 30 packets, maybe I’ll send you some. I am in love with my Sous vide as well though, I spend more on steaks now because I can’t possibly screw them up, even got a bbq with the searing grill on it for $150 at Home Depot….so good, and so easy.

Bill
    Participant

I started with the Presto electric pot method and upgraded to my Nomiku when they launched on Kickstarter. Between that and my pressure cooker I have the bulk of my cooking handled. 🙂 I did a salmon last week that was a big hit (I have a friend who has a Native American renter that provides him with a fish every month)…

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

Lets make a food thread, all this talk is making me hungry and I need ideas.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

@karl, etc. I cant find where we were talking about having the Arduino nano stream the gcode, but there are gcode commands for loading and starting a gcode file:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M23:_Select_SD_file

You’d still need an SD card reader, but it would be a lot easier than streaming it from the nano.

Barry
    Participant
    I started with the Presto electric pot method and upgraded to my Nomiku when they launched on Kickstarter. Between that and my pressure cooker I have the bulk of my cooking handled. 🙂 I did a salmon last week that was a big hit (I have a friend who has a Native American renter that provides him with a fish every month)…

Heh, boiled meat.  Reminds me of a guy I know, makes the best hotel food there is!

Bill
    Participant
    Heh, boiled meat. Reminds me of a guy I know, makes the best hotel food there is!

Never boiled, I tend to run closer to 130-135F. 🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just a small update. I decided to try “chicken of the land” instead of fish sticks today. I approve.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Or is it, “tuna of the land?”

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ha, those noodles are good. I have had them a bunch recently.

AL
    Participant
    Sneak Peak, I’m going to bed. lrgb

Oh man! When is this coming out? Also will the height be able to be adjusted for 3d printing?

Love the design!

Bill
    Participant
    Sneak Peak, I’m going to bed. lrgb

Oh man! When is this coming out? Also will the height be able to be adjusted for 3d printing? Love the design!

I’m not really sure how you would get the steel ball to 3D print… Maybe by compacting the layers of baking soda? 🙂

Here’s where to go if you want to build one…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I just saw the table picture. That is helpful, but the other side isn’t the same, right? Also, it doesn’t account for the bottom that stick out on that side.

Viewing 18 posts - 481 through 498 (of 498 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.