Few questions..

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Few questions..

This topic contains 76 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Christopher
    Participant

I think I may concert my MPCNC to a lowrider due to a lack of cut area.. I have a few questions first.

Can you use EMT for rails?

Can you use 5/16 Threaded rod instead of lead screws?

Can you cut aluminum with It?

I’m sure there will be more questions as the gears in my head turn lol.

Ryan
    Keymaster

1-Only if you can find 25.4mm OD conduit which is not common in the US or most other parts of the world, but does exist.

2-Maybe, the friction was too great when I tried it but it has worked for some.

3-Yup, but if you are wanting to cut full sheets of aluminum you should probably slap a plasma cutter on it and save yourself tons of time.

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    you should probably slap a plasma cutter on it

Is that your solution to everything Ryan?

– I want to cut sheets of metal with a CNC.
    – I can’t find my car in this big parking lot.
    – I can’t open this jar of mayonnaise.
    – I’m nervous that people won’t like my Halloween costume.
    – My kid doesn’t know how to ride a bike.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

So I guess you can tell I want a plasma cutter…

So the next time I see someone pop up a comment and say the MPCNC can’t cut steel I have three videos to disprove it linked in the gallery.

I saw some of the price tags for the full sheet plasma cutters and is is ridiculous. I just kinda want to show there is no need for all that extreme beefyness for a plasma cutter, there is so little load but using 4″ steel box tubing for the gantry????

Christopher
    Participant

I noticed the x axis movement only utilizes 1 nema 17, that 1 motor provides enough torque?

When I use my MPCNC I manually move to my zero on all 3 axis. I spin the pineapple couple by hand to raise and lower my z. It appears as if that’s not an option with the lowrider.

How hard are tool changes with the lowrider? My only worry is that there doesn’t seem to be a ton of room to work under that gantry.

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    How hard are tool changes with the lowrider? My only worry is that there doesn’t seem to be a ton of room to work under that gantry.

You can just pull the whole router out. No big deal.

The 1 motor on the X doesn’t seem to be a problem, but all the parts have the ability to add a second.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Also, I was vaguely thinking of adding a pineapple, or similar to the very bottom of the screws, just so I could make sure that they were at the same height when I turned the machine on, but I’d file that under, “Unnecessary upgrades”. You get to think of a lot of stupid things when you’re watching your machine do all the work.

Christopher
    Participant

<span class=”et_quote_sign”></span>

You can just pull the whole router out. No big deal.

The 1 motor on the X doesn’t seem to be a problem, but all the parts have the ability to add a second.

So the base for the router gets mounted to the gantry?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yep. And at least on the 611, it’s a quick release.

Christopher
    Participant

3/4 inch rigid conduit is 1.05 OD. I’m betting you could scale up the parts by 1 or 2% and it would work fine. You would just have to alter the mounting holes a tad.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It is a 1.27mm difference. It might work, but the 0.4mm difference was big enough on the MPCNC to where I had to make an entire new fileset.

If you try it let us know.

Christopher
    Participant
    It is a 1.27mm difference. It might work, but the 0.4mm difference was big enough on the MPCNC to where I had to make an entire new fileset.

If you try it let us know.

I’ll give it a shot and let you know.

Christopher
    Participant

What’s the difference between yroller, y611, and y611m?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Mirrored

Barry
    Participant

Works for AvE.

Christopher
    Participant

In the Lowrider instructions it Ryan says that 4″ is the ideal table thickness. Can it be thicker? Or are you limited by the lower wheels?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

4″ is basically the upper limit, due to the bottom wheels.

Christopher
    Participant
    4″ is basically the upper limit, due to the bottom wheels.

That’s what I figured.. I used 2×4’s to create the core of my box and used 1/2 ply.. 4 inches total. My issue with it is if you look down the top edges where the wheels will ride, it’s wavy. So I have to figure something ut that won’t add more material.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It may not be a huge deal, if the table is wavy the same way, because the wheels and the material will go up/down at the same time, sort of. It depends on what you’re trying to accomplish though.

Christopher
    Participant
    It may not be a huge deal, if the table is wavy the same way, because the wheels and the material will go up/down at the same time, sort of. It depends on what you’re trying to accomplish though.

If I was cutting a full sheet of 3/4 ply I doubt it would mimic the tables contour. Oh well. I’ll figure it out. Lol I’m a purist at heart so I get annoyed by minor imperfections anyway.

Christopher
    Participant

Part of me was thinking about buying steel angle and running it on the long sides of the table.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Even if you flattened it with a hand plane, I’m guessing it will warp with the seasons. But maybe not enough to matter.

Christopher
    Participant

Can you get the wheels to track on the edge of a 2×4?

Barry
    Participant
    Can you get the wheels to track on the edge of a 2×4?

I don’t see why not. If you keep the sides within an 8th inch of the table it can’t twist off track far enough to fall off a 2×4. Pretty sure the only way it’s going to wander is if one side skips steps.

Christopher
    Participant

When you put together the x assemblies, the pieces that the z axis slides on there is a fat side and a skinny side. How do they go in?

I posted a photo, is that right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow never finished the assembly instructions…Sorry.

Putting it on my to do list.

No pic came through.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The thick side always goes towards the wood plate.

Christopher
    Participant
    The thick side always goes towards the wood plate.

Then I was on the right track..

This is where I’m currently at. A little unorthodox but I’m happy with it.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Whoa! That looks awesome!

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the rails aren’t flush with the top of the table. The rails are the only reference for height, so the machine will need big big tolerances if that’s off as much as it looks like (it looks like maybe 1/2-3/4″). Even if the rails aren’t perfectly straight, as long as they are flush with the top of the spoil board, and the workpiece is constant thickness and flush with the spoil board, you’ll get better results. It looks like the rails are lower on the close side, but maybe that’s just perspective?

I really like the massive table though. It looks great. I wish I had the space to let it stretch out like that. It looks like you’re pretty close to making a mess too.

Christopher
    Participant

Table is 10 ft by 5.5 ft.

1/8 inch thick steel rails.

It’s perspective, everything is square.

There will be a 3/4 MDF sheet dead center of the table with 3/4 dog holes and 4 larger holes next to each corner for clamping of a full sheet of plywood.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.