Fusion360 and Laser "Fills"

New Home Forum Software Development Fusion360 and Laser "Fills"

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Chris 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Is the laser functions in Fusion 360 restricted to profile cuts only or am I missing something? I’d like to use it for vector logo and text etching but all I can get it to do is outline profile “cuts”. I know the CAM section is called Cutting so I’m guessing that is all it can do. Maybe there is a way to fill with a series of properly spaced lines to trick it…

Profile photo of Martin DB
    Martin DB
    Participant

I was making some test in this direction a few weeks ago….. but no good results… Fusion 360 is good for lines as you say, but not to fill in. I think image2gcode is the way to go… slow, but great results.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

I was afraid of that. I’m trying to avoid running any windows programs. That’s one reason I switched to Fusion. Anyone else have a Mac raster program suggestion?

Profile photo of Martin DB
    Martin DB
    Participant

Fusion is excelent. I’m also in mac…. virtualbox helps me with the windows programs that I still need.

Profile photo of rkrammes
    rkrammes
    Participant

Same, now with Fusion I’m only going into bootcamp for Image2Gcode.

Profile photo of catohagen
    catohagen
    Participant

You just need to convert your desired medium to vector format so Fusion can ‘cut’ it.

It should be (depends on complexity) enough to use Inkscape for mac to convert or build your vectors, save as SVG then import into Fusion and apply the toolpaths. There are plenty of tutorials for Inkscape, a quick Youtube search for ‘inkscape vectorize image’ gives plenty of examples.

There is a Inkscape laser plugin for J tech laser you can download here :
    http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1980

It seems to have all the stuff you need for laser operations

There are users on this forum that uses this brand laser with the MPCNC, so it should be pretty straighforward 🙂

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

I have my workflow up and running by importing DXF out of Illustrator just fine. That’s not the problem. The problem is with this workflow the only operations I can seem to use with the laser in Fusion is “profile cut” the outline of vector letters and vector logos. This is not the look I want. I want to fill the vector outlines like you would do with a raster operation. A “pocket cut” so to speak in CNC terms. All I can get Fusion to do is profile cuts. I figured this type of “fill in the letters” operation would already be used by someone and I was overlooking a checkbox or some other hidden option in Fusion.

I’m going to investigate LaserWeb. I hear it is sort of compatible with Marlin.

Or maybe I can trick Fusion to turn on my laser using a typical mill tool pocketing operation. Maybe with the “coolant” option.

Profile photo of P3DCNC
    P3DCNC
    Participant

You should ask on the Fusion 360 Forum. They are very good and often it’s an Autodesk person that replies with a video how to do it..

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

That’s a good idea P3DCNC. I’ll go see what they say over there and report back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.