Garage or indoors

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Garage or indoors

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Anderson 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Monica Anderson
    Participant

I am working on my low rider build (using the printed and hardware parts kits on vicious1.com). My milled parts were 5mm plywood. I attached my progress below. I purchased my rods via speedy metals (per advice here). While I am waiting for my rods to be delivered, I need to build my table. I do not have a dedicated workshop. All of my tools are in my garage.

Should my low rider be indoors or in my garage? I live where is it very humid for 4-5 months out of the year (avg 70% but up to 84%). I worry that the electronics and more importantly, the steel rods will not fair well. I could bring the electronics inside when not in use but the rods are the 304 steel. Putting it indoors present a bigger problem. I am very worried about the dust indoors. Even with a dust collection system, small amounts of dust in the house will make cleaning a pain.

What is the experience of people that have put them in the garage during the summer?

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

304 is stainless it should hold up against rust really well. Bringin the electronics in is a good idea if you see any issues, you could always conformal spray coat it.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It will make a lot of dust, even with a shop vac. Some of the dust gets double cut, and is very fine.

I live in Colorado, which is a desert. Unfortunately, I can’t speak to the humidity being a factor. There are things you could do to the steel to further protect it, but not the inside. You could also try to enclosed the electronics in a box with some of those packets you aren’t supposed to eat, but you’d have to open it when running, or it will overheat.

Monica Anderson
    Participant

Thanks for the insight. I installed hardwood floors a couple of years ago and the dust from the carpet persisted for weeks. Looks like it is garage bound.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.