GCODE….

This topic contains 59 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

I got the ELSCAM program to put out in GCODE. Machine reads it off of SD card. Then a whopping nothing happens. I thought maybe it needed more time, so let it run overnight and in the am machine still had not moved at all. I’m assuming user error at this point but have no idea where I went wrong. I did look at the tutorials and followed them closely, just not sure what I did wrong at this point, any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Did all of this work for you?

EstlCam Basics

Matthew
    Participant

I used STL files to load into elscam vs DXF. Followed everything else on there.

Matthew
    Participant

I have a set of cutlass holders that i designed and its a pretty simple design so I’ve been trying to use those. Used Easel.com for the initial design and exported it as an STL since DXF wasn’t an option.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You are not giving enough information to narrow it down.
    Any errors, did you start the gcode? You really should start with a 2d drawing.
    Best to zip the file and put it here or a public dropbox so we can look at it.

Matthew
    Participant

Ok, don’t have winzip at the moment.. I’ll see what I can do

Barry
    Participant

If you have windows 7 or higher, just right click the file, one of the options is send to >> compressed file, which is a zip.

Matthew
    Participant

Went through the process with a DXF file for 2D and nothing happens. Here is the file.

Matthew
    Participant

Rather here

Attachments:
    1. 02041.zip

Ryan
    Keymaster

The code looks okay, But I will need to run it to see if it works.

What did you use to generate it, it does seem to be missing some things?

I am going to be testing boards after I finish cleaning up a bit. I will try and run it then.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Just ran it and it seemed to work fine.

Matthew
    Participant

Interesting because my machine loads it and then nothing…. Machine doesn’t move. My buddy thinks it may be the firmware on the arduino. I bought the kit from the site and haven’t messed with the sketch at all so I don’t know. He thinks its is the interpretation part of the firmware so hes going to help me out with that. Is there anywhere on here that I can download the default sketch you load onto the kits?

Matthew
    Participant

ANd I used ESTLCAM and Repetier-Host liek the tutorials said to in order to make the gcode

Ryan
    Keymaster

So it is all bought from me, and you are trying to run this from the lcd screen?
    That gcode is not from estlcam unless you have changed some settings in other tabs.
    The firmware is on the, here, https://www.vicious1.com/marlin-firmware/

Matthew
    Participant

gcode is from ESTLCAM, just my buddy mike had me try deleting some of the lines since I don’t have stops and such, he was going through the process with me over the phone. And yes using the LCD screen and an SD card.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well the gcode works on mine, and if you can move yours repetier host manually. I am not sure what it could possibly be. Do you have any errors on the repetier screen?

I am a little nervous that you have a friend changing things. It is always best to make sure everything works as is before you modify things.

Matthew
    Participant

Only thing he has modified is the gcode. We didn’t start manipulating the gcode until it after it wouldn’t work the way the tutorial told me to go through the process. He hasn’t started flashing the duino or anything yet. As far as he can tell it has something to deal with the interpretation part of the sketch not working properly. Here is the original gcode after I take through the process one more time.

Matthew
    Participant

And I can’t do repetier host to move manually, I’m moving manualy off of the LCD screen menus. The computer and machine are in different parts of the house with no physical connection to each other. Moving the data via SD card

Ryan
    Keymaster

So does the file show up on the lcd screen? Then what happens or describe how you are trying to use it.

Matthew
    Participant

From the main menu I move to print from SD card. I select print from SD card and it returns to the main screen and the file appears to load via the load bar to the right of the SD card symbol and it appears to load, but nothing happens. The machine simply doesn’t move. In a couple of cases, the SD card never finishes loading the file. Right now I’m connected to the printer via the provided usb cable and Repetier-Host doesn’t even see the machine. It keeps asking me to connect the printer. In my device manager it shows up as USB 2.0 device. It can’t find drivers for it. I’m assuming that is normal….. Thanks again for all the help. I realize its been a slow process. I work on a ship so I disappear for lengths of time at a shot and appreciate the understanding in the gaps of my replies.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The driver issue, did you install arduino first or repetier should have installed drivers but I know arduino does.

Try my gcode found in the estlcam basics page. Yours seems okay but there are 4 numbers after the decimal not sure if the arduino can handle that or not. Might as well test with a known good file.

Matthew
    Participant

I installed arduino first. Then Repetier. Also, I noticed I’m missing the resistor, I must have dropped it when I was building the machine. The crown file does exactly what the other file did, it appears to load and then nothing happens, the machine doesn’t budge. How do I get anther resistor that fits on the board? Can you post the gode file so I can try a known good file that has been proven to work on another machine and see if it works here to confirm that I’m not screwing something up in the process of converting the file?

Ryan
    Keymaster

The resistor is not used with the new firmware.

There is a test file on this page, https://www.vicious1.com/estlcam-basics/

Matthew
    Participant

I tried the test file, with .nc it wouldn’t read, I used repetier to convert to .gco which it now reads on the machine and it loads but nothing happens after it loads. Do you think that putting the sketch for the new firmware on the arduino would fix my problem?

Ryan
    Keymaster

You don’t have to convert it you can just change the file extension.

It should run directly from repetier, does repetier work perfectly for you with my file, before you convert it?

This is kind of a backwards way to test this it would be much easier if you could run through the basic guide with a usb cable, so we can eliminate a possible issue.

At this point I am thinking either you have a SD that is either too large or formatted wrong or a bad screen.

Can you post a picture of your memory card, 2gig and under is ideal, it works up to 8gig with some brands, above that it gets very hit or miss. But if it reads the file and you can select it, and you can move the machine with the lcd, I honestly have no idea what else could be wrong.

Just in case I attached a modified gcode file. Maybe give it a run.

Matthew
    Participant

I tried the attached file and it is the same as before, loads then nothing happens. Here are the pics of my LCD, its the one off of your website. Only error it gives me is min-temp as I don’t have an extruder on it.

Johnny
    Participant

I am sure when Ryan see’s this he will say the same thing, but I think you need to try a smaller SD card. Get you a plain old 2GB SD card and give it a try. I would venture to say stay away from the Extremes or high Mb/s rate cards. It just isn’t needed for pulling Gcode off the card. It’s plain text and should transfer plenty fast at standard rates. Which reminds me. I need to go buy one myself for my setup as well. I have run into issues myself before with other tech like game cameras trying to use too fast or fancy of SD Card for them to handle. The high transfer rate SDHC cards are awesome for photography and video, but for very simple things like this not always so much. Good luck getting it worked out.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah generally the large cards do not work unless you format them down to something fat32 or older which means you will lose all but 8g I think.

Matthew
    Participant

Ok,used an 8GB, which was the smallest I could find and the exact same thing happened. I also don’t get why an SD card would stop Repetier or ESTLCAM from seeing the machine. I think the problem is the arduino because we have trouble shot absolutely everything else. Do you have instructions for formatting and loading the new firmware on the arduino so I can see if that is my problem? I’ve so far done nothing to the sketch but I don’t see anything else it could be.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you have checked and the card is formatted with fat32, I am not sure what else could be wrong other than a defect. I say return it. If you bought it from me send it back, if you bought it elsewhere, hopefully you can do the same.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.