Getting X/Y square

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jens
    Participant

Hey!

I have some trouble getting X/Y Axis Square to each other.
    The frame itself is square. I checked that by measuring the diagonal points and checking the rails to each other with a square piece.
    But when I place the square between the X and the Y rail at the Center-Piece, I see a little offset.
    I milled a test-piece, a square with 100x100mm. When I place it at my square, I can see a space of nearly a mm at the end. So I am around 1% off.

What do I have to to, to get that square? I already extracted the z-Axis and rechecked the squareness there (by laying it flat onto the ground). Everything is fine there.

Thanks, Jens

Jens
    Participant

Noone made his CNC “perfectly” square?

P3DCNC
    Participant

Most seem to be placing physical blocks on the X and Y of the frame, then running the X and Y until both X and Y motor sets bottom out, thus squaring the XY to the frame. Then make sure the motors stay on to hold it square, position and run your job.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The way do do it is in two parts.

1-Square the frame, sounds like you have that.
    2-insert all the rails into the center gantry separate from the frame get it square then assemble them. This is how it is described in the instructions.

Sometimes it is difficult, if you never seem to get it right put it together and do some drawings, leave it fully assembled for a few days, take the center off and try again, for some the parts need to break in or settle for some reason.

Jens
    Participant

My problem is the part, that you descibe as “get it square” 😉 There are some screws that hold bearings, that you describe as beeing used to make it square. I dismounted the gantry from the frame and messed with them and I didn’t feel as if anything changed, when I fasten or lighten those screws.

Ryan
    Keymaster

For some people this seems to be a huge issue. I have redesigned the center section 3 times, this is by far the easiest to get square.

I did my best in the instrutions to give a step by step of how I get mine square. Like I said before the break in also seems to help stubborn builds.

If you can get it close you can square it by hand when the motors are energized as well. That is how we did it with the very first version.

Did you use PLA? Have you checked the calibration of your printer? Are your rails the correct size, perhaps they are oval instead of round? These are the three most common issues for the stubborn to square builds.

Jens
    Participant

Hey!

I bought the Pieces from you. I think they are PLA? I checked the rails before I cut them. They were round whereever I measured.
    I took out the gantry again this weekend and played around with the tension screws again. I got it a lot more square, than before. I am currently drawing my first plane to produce. I will see, how much impact the small tolerance has.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sounds like the break in was needed for you.

It only takes a second to square it up with a tape measure before you start your program. Take your time work on some non critical projects first so you can spend your effort on getting optimal gcode, squaring is by far the easiest part.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.